That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
550142_10150802110439556_514044555_9385221_1028441635_n.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I've said before that I'm not into Rap really, but I do like these guys, so I don't want to contradict myself...

beastie-boys-fight-for-your-right-01.jpg

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
BE, if everyone actually took the route you just did regarding your stance on any particular genre they disliked I don't think the debate would exist. If you enter any demographic you are bound to be that guy at some point where you can't even mention an artist of your genre or the genre itself in any respect to a topic without getting questioned not just for the audacity to like that music but for your intelligence and personal worthiness to rate any music based on liking that one thing. Like here, we are blessed to have such a civil base of members BUT I've even seen the crudest behavior towards listeners who LOVE Classic Rock but also happen to like some rap. What I'm saying is like anything things get heightened and on the defense when one becomes a ***** for liking something and usually the civility you just utilized is lost before anyone makes the first move. In my opinion, what you wrote made me see logic in your choice even though it's not all inclusive it shows what you see. This is how I'd like to see debate in a forum! :grinthumb

You are quite right. In this case, they were polite, so I was polite back. I don't think big general music sites are for me, because they are concerned with types of music I just don't like. On the other hand specific sites can be divided by different interpretations of the genre. I can accept that a classic rock site is open to rap, because there is, after all, rap-rock! We are also entitled to like other things outside our preferred favourites.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Needless to say, I got comments on the errors of judging by mainstream acts, generalising, not listening and lacking a sense of irony. In the end, I just don't like rap in the same way I don't expect everyone else to like heavy and progressive rock. The difference is that heavy and progressive rock is not being forced on anyone.

How is rap being forced on anyone?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I think what he means, is it's always used in TV ads, theme songs, kid shows, radio promotions..all that stuff.

My wife and I giggle a bit when the kids are watching some show of theirs and the wanna be hip white dude comes in,

Word Up Kids...:heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
You are quite right. In this case, they were polite, so I was polite back. I don't think big general music sites are for me, because they are concerned with types of music I just don't like. On the other hand specific sites can be divided by different interpretations of the genre. I can accept that a classic rock site is open to rap, because there is, after all, rap-rock! We are also entitled to like other things outside our preferred favourites.

I'll mention one other important thing I noticed. You stated a preference on the style but you didn't outright say it didn't take talent. You mentioned a solid fact that mostly it's a genre that doesn't use organic instruments which is largely true. I get that. Most wouldn't argue that. I don't get nerved by specifics like that. I do have a qualm about talent. If I wanted to get into it with someone who had their mind made up the easiest logic in talent is "Can you do it?" I listen to rap for at least 20% of my listening. I cannot keep the beat, rhythm nor speed with any of it. They are more talented at what they do. To me the voice is an instrument so it equals music to me and because they are keeping beat with the music and it's structure. I love vocals and emotion in music. I hear a lot of that in rap even if I don't relate to it's subject matter all the time. I mean hell, I don't relate to wizards and dragons or fantasy lore in some 70's rock or progressive bands but they can convince me to listen if played right. Anyway, it's not about liking but "sometimes" declaring lack of talent based on an emotional dislike of the music is displaying a certain ignorance! :)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I think what he means, is it's always used in TV ads, theme songs, kid shows, radio promotions..all that stuff.

My wife and I giggle a bit when the kids are watching some show of theirs and the wanna be hip white dude comes in,

It's very ubiquitous in the gym, on TV shows, radio, adverts, sports coverage, passing cars with their windows down in the summer and the list goes on. White British kids who have never been outside their town, who think they are black kids on the streets of New York, REALLY bug me!

I mean hell, I don't relate to wizards and dragons or fantasy lore in some 70's rock or progressive bands but they can convince me to listen if played right.

A good point. I listen to heavy and progressive rock a lot, but I don't relate to the dungeons and dragons. I suppose I like most of the elements, but not all.

Last edited:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

I have heard constant rock / metal songs in TV ads, radio promotions, kid shows, video games etc as well. I tend to ignore all that bullshit. I dont listen to the radio anymore just because what I listen to is not on the radio. I usually flip through the channels after the show I am watching goes to a commercial. I really dont see it being forced down the throats of anyone.

Yea I find that funny as well.

It's very ubiquitous in the gym, on TV shows, radio, adverts, sports coverage, passing cars with their windows down in the summer and the list goes on. White British kids who have never been outside their town, who think they are black kids on the streets of New York, REALLY bug me!

That is still not being forced on you. You can easily bring an ipod or another mp3 device to the gym to drown out the music you do not like. You choose to listen to those stations as well as watch those shows. I don't see that as being forced.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I hear it more on the kid shows I guess, as I'm passing through the living room or what not.

But in reality, I only watch TV or listen to music , mainly, on disc.

In fact...I only have HD cable hook up, upstairs...downstairs is the nicer set up of the two, and only used for movies and music.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I have heard constant rock / metal songs in TV ads, radio promotions, kid shows, video games etc as well. I tend to ignore all that bullshit. I dont listen to the radio anymore just because what I listen to is not on the radio. I usually flip through the channels after the show I am watching goes to a commercial. I really dont see it being forced down the throats of anyone.

Yea I find that funny as well.

Once I got out of my house and had the freedom to change any dial I wanted and make choices that weren'r democratic with the families I never looked back. I don't listen to radio at all and I don't bother with cable to even see music channels which don't exist anyway. In a life of freedom "almost" everything that hits my ears is by choice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.