Lemmy hates rap and pop music

Status
Not open for further replies.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
22 pages? This thread sure got away from me, eh? How old is it??

Guess it's too late for me to participate in the main discussion but y'all know I live and die by variety. Classic rock is, was, and always will be my favorite category of music. But if that's all that was out there for me to explore, I would have quit listening to music in 2004, and moved on to a medium that provided me with the variety I require.

As for Lemmy, his single-mindedness is one of his assets. Metal isn't a genre that takes kindly to much diversity. But most musicians (metal musicians being no exception, to be sure) love and revere a wide variety of music styles. It goes hand in hand with being a musician.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is some rap and hip hop music that not only I tolerate I actually kind of dig. But not the usual crap I hear on tv, if I want to get music I NEVER EVER go by tv or charts. Good music is worth the hunt no matter the genre. I personally am more likely to slam bands I love for putting out really dire albums.

Syd

Reaction score
Most classic-rock/metal/punk fans are really close minded. Well, rap music has more Rock&Roll than most music today. It certainly has more in common with Elvis than Death Metal or even some Prog Rock. But some people are turned off by the general attitude of rappers and swear words. But that doesn't mean it's not a form or a branch of rock and roll. I mean, everyone is entitled to an opinion and of course it's ok to not like rap music, but that doesn't make it less rock&roll.

Bocephus

Reaction score
Lemmy saying what most intelligent music fans are thinking but to afraid to say, having said that, i'm not a huge Motorhead fan either.:oyea:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
There is nothing new in this, he has spoken of music, "Before there was rap."

I don't like Motorhead much, but Hawkwind were at their best with him.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Lemmy is just one old guy with a big noisy amp and bad teeth, I doubt Beyonce or Kanye West or Justin Bieber are about to hit the anti-depressants because some metal-head disses them, who cares what he likes and doesn't like....well, apart from like AboutaGirl says the people who have made 22 pages and 225 posts and 4,365 views of this bizarre epic topic!!!

Last edited:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I like a little rap, and I grew up listening to pop music. I guess I'm not intelligent.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The Who, The Kinks, The Beach Boys and The Beatles were all pop(ular). I can't think of more intelligent bands or music. Lemmy is speaking for those of us who feel that the rock baby has been thrown out with the rappers' bath water.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Spot On Martin, I agree with you.:D

You are intelligent Jen, that's what makes music such a wonderful art form something for everyone. I am not a Pop hater(but am a Rap Hater...;)) I just prefer the Pop stars I grew up with more than the current crop, some are very talented and have made it on their own merits, others have been lobbed out of the Disney star making factory, those I Don't care for at all.

Khor1255

Reaction score
One more thing I agree with Lemmy on. And the Beatles did have songs that were intentionally written as pop songs. That's just good sense especially in the 60s where you pretty much had to do that to stay relevant to record companies.
There is nothing wrong with good pop music. I actually like some but by and large I've never been a fan of songs written from a marketing perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online