Lemmy hates rap and pop music

Status
Not open for further replies.

travis92x

Reaction score
Some good civil commentary all round.

I disagree with Sooty about this topic but am not going over old ground again.

However, I fail to see any change as a result of this new music when it comes to "cultural" boundaries as mentioned a few posts back. All I see is a whole generation of young kids, mostly well off who "pretend" to be bad asses which is part of the allure of the rap/hip-hop phenomenon. The Rappers being smart businessman have taken advantage of that to make a fortune, I refuse to be part of that whole fake scene and am comfortable with my wide range of musical taste.(And there are a Plethora of talented Blues, Soul, R&B and Jazz musicians who agree with me.)

It remains the worst music ever made on a mass scale to me. 200 years from now they will still be playing Beethoven, The Beatles and a host of other talented musicians work, I don't think any Rap will survive the test of time.

RUN-DMC - Rock Box - YouTube

Too $hort - The Ghetto - YouTube

Whodini- Friends - YouTube

Eric B. & Rakim - Juice (Know The Ledge) - YouTube

Grandmaster Flash The Message HQ - YouTube

you were saying...?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Get back to me in 50 years Travis92X.

:D

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I don't see them on the mass scale of the "rappers" though Mud. It just comes across as too funny to me when I see them trying to be all bad ass. Granted it is not nearly as prevalent here as in many other countries.

Dubstep...:think:...can't say I've ever listened to it myself.

Powerage makes a good point as well, only in the Rap scene do you have gunfights at awards ceremonies and killing off your rivals, all about keeping your "street cred" and what utter bollocks that is.:wtf:

To be fair I never liked the "Beatnik" poetic crap in the 50's and 60's either just not my thing.

As far as my friends in the forum go, just because we part ways on this one style of music doesn't diminish my affection and respect for them in any way.;)

LG music has just about always been about image.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Not to me Mud...we didn't have anything but AM radio and B&W TV back when I was first getting into it.

There has to be Substance for music to last for the ages. The benchmark is already in place.

travis92x

Reaction score
There is nothing remarkable about Iron Maiden going on a 6 month World Tour, playing every date and tearing the shit out of arenas and stadiums.

Rappers sell papers, have gang wars and are troubled individuals so therefore are more interesting to the media. They're also more likely to get into trouble than 50 year old rockers who have been there and done it all before.

an old sterotype that needs to be put to bed. There are no rappers that are just trouble makers for shits and giggles. The subgenre you're describing is gangsta rap, and it was born out of the streets. Actual gangsta rap isnt exactly the way you describe it. It expresses certain issues out in places like south central L.A., told cryptic tales and warned people of dangers in those said areas, as well as being a voice for the people in those areas, expressing things in a confrontational manner. at least thats what real gangsta rap does, not this nonsense they have now. people like the geto boys, nwa, and the notorious b.i.g were real on that stuff

Coolio Featuring L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise - YouTube

talks about those things i mentioned, and its a clean as a whistle in terms of lyrics, so what now?

and rockers can make songs about drugs and partying like no tommorow with(sometimes) sleazy lyrics, yet a rapper can't. what a double standard that is!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^No matter what you say you will Never convince me to be a fan of Rap music...it remains my least favorite genre of all time and that is not likely to change no matter what arguments you use to the contrary.

The most Boring music ever recorded on a mass scale in history...hell they steal each others beats and call it "sampling" and it's all good. Not so long ago that was plagiarism and you got sued for big money.

I'm done with this subject, said it all before in the forum more than once.

travis92x

Reaction score
^^Get back to me in 50 years Travis92X.

:D

in 50 years? whatever, this stuff is at least 20 years old now, 27, 22, 27, 20, and 30, respectively for each song.....the genre is over 30 years old, people still listen to this today, and these songs carry internally relevant messages.

travis92x

Reaction score
^^No matter what you say you will Never convince me to be a fan of Rap music...it remains my least favorite genre of all time and that is not likely to change no matter what arguments you use to the contrary.

The most Boring music ever recorded on a mass scale in history...hell they steal each others beats and call it "sampling" and it's all good. Not so long ago that was plagiarism and you got sued for big money.

I'm done with this subject, said it all before in the forum more than once.

sampling is an intergral part of hip hop, its not stealing other people's music, its utilizing the music itself via turntablism, very highly skilled and intricate turntablism to create new sounds. it also requires quick timing and precise spins and cuts, not to mention a high level of production skill

Gang Starr - Take It Personal - YouTube

^essentailly emcompasses everything about turntablism and production as well as sampling, the rapping here that guru does is incredible as well. people dont like hip hop because they either have not ventured into it, seen the worst sides of it, or feel somehow 'threatened' by its popularity(look on ANY classic rock vids on YT and you'll see what i mean...)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
How is rap being used in commercials, etc. "forcing" anything on anyone? Obviously no one here has been convinced by it. Also I wasn't around 50 years ago but I'm pretty positive that what was "in" at the time on the mainstream music scene was being used on television, radio, film, etc. That's a given. Also I hear a lot of rock (and tons of pop) being used today as well like newer acts Band of Skulls and even Led Zeppelin in recent years and Steven Tyler himself was endorsing Burger King. Classic rock songs like Born to be Wild and Bad to the Bone are so overused in film and commercials I can't even stand hearing them anymore. To me that's just a weak argument. No one can ever force you to listen to anything long term.

Also, what I think people are getting confused here is rap as opposed to hip-hop, which are very different in my opinion. Rap is a lot deeper (maybe not to people here, but its original purpose has been watered down I'd say in the last 15 years) than hip-hop, which revolves around catchy beats and silly subjects like busty women and jetsetting and counting your G's. For a lot of urban youths in the late 80s/early 90s rapping had the same social significance and impact that the anti-war movements with music made in the 60s. Just because it's different doesn't lessen the impact. You could also so that rock music itself has become a bit juvenile as the years have progressed, which is why a lot of members here focus primarily on the classic stuff anyway.

I feel like this subject could go on and on forever but I will say that some of the opinions I have read in this thread and throughout the forum only add to the mindset that classic rock fans can be extremely narrow-minded. Posting a picture of someone acting stupid with their pants down to the rear end or calling rap fans dumbasses just makes the opposing argument seem a bit weak. As long as everyone keeps it civil and no one resorts to insulting the fans I have no problem with the debate though. Sooty is absolutely right though that a lot of the comments we've seen on here that are anti-rap can be quite hateful at times, and then when there's an extremely educated and well thought out post like TheSound's it's just blown off completely with no logical rebuttal.

Big Ears, I like the Roots. :grinthumb

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
an old sterotype that needs to be put to bed. There are no rappers that are just trouble makers for shits and giggles. The subgenre you're describing is gangsta rap, and it was born out of the streets. Actual gangsta rap isnt exactly the way you describe it. It expresses certain issues out in places like south central L.A., told cryptic tales and warned people of dangers in those said areas, as well as being a voice for the people in those areas, expressing things in a confrontational manner. at least thats what real gangsta rap does, not this nonsense they have now. people like the geto boys, nwa, and the notorious b.i.g were real on that stuff

Coolio Featuring L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise - YouTube

talks about those things i mentioned, and its a clean as a whistle in terms of lyrics, so what now?

and rockers can make songs about drugs and partying like no tommorow with(sometimes) sleazy lyrics, yet a rapper can't. what a double standard that is!

Whilst I applaud your use of the phrase "shits and giggles", I didn't say anything about what people can or can't write about?

I would also argue that if you take some of the biggest rap stars, many of them have branched out from music into film, and in Jay-Z's case, he's just become a full time celebrity. Music was just the avenue that got these people out of the ****ing shitholes they lived in. Basically, they're fake.

We're also a moving very quickly away from my reply to that image comparing some rapper to Steve 'God' Harris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online

No members online now.