Lemmy hates rap and pop music

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe

Reaction score
@Joe - Go back to the beginning. I have been defending the fact that Wolf has been inferring that there are true metalheads, and people who like other stuff that he doesn't like and metal aren't really "true" fans. This is a an easy way of thinking that humans get wrapped in, which I won't get into here because it leads to inappropriate discussions for this forum.

Anyways, Lemmy's opinions were used as a go-ahead to start trashing certain genres of music, that many on this forum like and will come here to defend them, just as you have the right to trash them. There are plenty of quotes from this thread that you can read that show that. I was hoping to see some kind of backing behind their viewpoints, instead of "Lemmy speaks the truth! See?" Like what he likes is some sort of truth. What if Lemmy actually liked the Beibs? What would you do then? Call him a traitor? Or would you make up some imaginary excuse as to why he may have said that. It's all ridiculous.

Wolf can infer all he likes just as I see you inferring as well. I don't have a problem with that.

I guess your idea of inappropriate is different from mine. I see you as getting wrapped in this discussion. You're here posting in it and making your opinions. That's blatantly apparent.

You see Lemmy's opinions as a go ahead to start trashing certain genres of music. Absolutely. People agree with his opinions and are going to support them with examples of thier own. I think that is a given.

I don't think any less of you for your opinions as to defending your favourite genres of music as you would trash others you don't particular like if that was the case. That doesn't bother me in the least though I see it bothering you. There's nothing I can do about that. I have no control over that situation. That's your stuff. Not mine.

I do see and agree with some members view points on both sides of the discussion. You're asking me or saying that "like what he likes is some sort of truth"? I don't know what he says is the truth or not. Only Lemmy knows. You'll have to ask him.

"What if Lemmy actually liked the Biebs? What would you do then". Nothing. I think if they get along and are friends, thats great.

No. I wouldn't call him a traitor.

No. I wouldn't make up an imaginary excuse.

"It's all ridiculous." That's your opinion.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
To be fair I edited it out because it came across as very passive aggressive, didnt mean to seem like I was having a go, just wanted a bit of info why you feel that way to some extent I agree, the songs of Motorhead sound all too similar at times. But guess it depends on perspective, I think Lemmy himself is a rock/metal legend. I love the stuff he has made for Motorhead.
Guess as I said comes down to personal preferences.

I agree with that too, I love Lemmy and Motorhead, new album is great...

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Wolf can infer all he likes just as I see you inferring as well. I don't have a problem with that.

I guess your idea of inappropriate is different from mine. I see you as getting wrapped in this discussion. You're here posting in it and making your opinions. That's blatantly apparent.

You see Lemmy's opinions as a go ahead to start trashing certain genres of music. Absolutely. People agree with his opinions and are going to support them with examples of thier own. I think that is a given.

I don't think any less of you for your opinions as to defending your favourite genres of music as you would trash others you don't particular like if that was the case. That doesn't bother me in the least though I see it bothering you. There's nothing I can do about that. I have no control over that situation. That's your stuff. Not mine.

I do see and agree with some members view points on both sides of the discussion. You're asking me or saying that "like what he likes is some sort of truth"? I don't know what he says is the truth or not. Only Lemmy knows. You'll have to ask him.

"What if Lemmy actually liked the Biebs? What would you do then". Nothing. I think if they get along and are friends, thats great.

No. I wouldn't call him a traitor.

No. I wouldn't make up an imaginary excuse.

"It's all ridiculous." That's your opinion.

@Joe - That second paragraph actually wasn't meant for you personally, it was meant for a few other members, though it seems to have come off that way. I wrote it pretty hastily this morning! You're answers are reasonable, though I would expect different from a few other people.

Touching on the subject of truth, I still don't see how an opinion on something like liking music is a truth, where you either like something or you don't. But we see Lemmy talking about the creativity of rap and pop artists and people take that as truth, when in fact when he himself writes songs, the same chord progressions and song structures are used that have been repeated for years and years, and the impact he himself has made on musical knowledge and composition is nothing. If it was, then they would be actually teaching what contributions he has made in music schools, but that's not the case. But that's still not a reason to deny Motorhead's creativity and it's not a reason to not listen and not like his music. His creativity comes from the way he handles these basic structures, just as how a hip hop artist mixes a song, creates beats, and creates rhymes that flow. It's a creative process just like when Motorhead puts together a song. People may not like hip hop, but to deny their creativity is absurd. You may say that people will use other people's opinions (especially when they don't hold any water) to support their own, but I think that is a flawed way of thinking and leads to dangerous things. I would delve into that more if this forum allowed, but for now I will have to pass.

That brings me to ask, why then is there so much hate on another genre of popular music, when after you break it down, it's all very similar in scope and structure?
Quoting what you said fits in nicely with what I am saying, it's not 100% about the music:
"I can somewhat understand where Wolf is coming from though I"m not in the metalhead "community" but I have known many people that were. It's more than the music in this community. From what I know it's also a belief, a conviction, a culture, a doctrine if you like which has views on different entities that go against the norm like the establishment of government, religion, other music, fashion, politics, etc. I'm sure Wolf will correct me if I'm wrong. I see it not much different than the punk rock community which I knew some very well back in the 80's."

Anyways I'm just talking here - in the mood these past few days to discuss! Me = guilty of being wrapped :cheers2

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Note to self: Don't go to a music news site and say that I hate pop and rap.

joe

Reaction score
@Joe - That second paragraph actually wasn't meant for you personally, it was meant for a few other members, though it seems to have come off that way. I wrote it pretty hastily this morning! You're answers are reasonable, though I would expect different from a few other people.

Touching on the subject of truth, I still don't see how an opinion on something like liking music is a truth, where you either like something or you don't. But we see Lemmy talking about the creativity of rap and pop artists and people take that as truth, when in fact when he himself writes songs, the same chord progressions and song structures are used that have been repeated for years and years, and the impact he himself has made on musical knowledge and composition is nothing. If it was, then they would be actually teaching what contributions he has made in music schools, but that's not the case. But that's still not a reason to deny Motorhead's creativity and it's not a reason to not listen and not like his music. His creativity comes from the way he handles these basic structures, just as how a hip hop artist mixes a song, creates beats, and creates rhymes that flow. It's a creative process just like when Motorhead puts together a song. People may not like hip hop, but to deny their creativity is absurd. You may say that people will use other people's opinions (especially when they don't hold any water) to support their own, but I think that is a flawed way of thinking and leads to dangerous things. I would delve into that more if this forum allowed, but for now I will have to pass.

That brings me to ask, why then is there so much hate on another genre of popular music, when after you break it down, it's all very similar in scope and structure?
Quoting what you said fits in nicely with what I am saying, it's not 100% about the music:
"I can somewhat understand where Wolf is coming from though I"m not in the metalhead "community" but I have known many people that were. It's more than the music in this community. From what I know it's also a belief, a conviction, a culture, a doctrine if you like which has views on different entities that go against the norm like the establishment of government, religion, other music, fashion, politics, etc. I'm sure Wolf will correct me if I'm wrong. I see it not much different than the punk rock community which I knew some very well back in the 80's."

Anyways I'm just talking here - in the mood these past few days to discuss! Me = guilty of being wrapped :cheers2

Holy smokes Kuaizi. I went to all that trouble for nothing. Just kidding ya.:D

Truth has many different meanings. I can't speak for others but I can only describe to you what it means to me.

First of all, what Lemmy stated I don't believe in it, therefore I don't take it as the truth. The things I take as the truth are in relation to my being such as my principles, sincerity, fidelity, veracity, etc., and certain statements and beliefs which correspond to my reality and of course the reality of an object like a fish, my computer, the clouds, my Mum, etc.

So I could assume that some people take Lemmy's statement as the truth. You and I don't believe it, but some people do.

I think Lemmy has made a contibution to music as I see every artist making a contribution. To what extent and relative degree is one's own judgement and conclusion as it is someone's to say who's not creative and who's is and again to what level or importance.

Many musicians don't teach at college, school or institution and to say that because of thier choice not to do so, to me, doesn't equate creativity or talent.

I really don't think that there's that much hate for popular music which I think you mean "pop". I don't like some music and ya, I do poke fun at it at times. It is in no way with extreme aversion or ill-intent. I'm just more a less joking around. Having a bit of fun.:D

I don't like Brittany Spears music, but I don't hate it or hate her. When she was having those problems there a few years ago, I was hoping nothing but the best for her. I don't want to see anyone suffer.

I am also guilty of being wrapped. I prefer to use the word, engaged.:grinthumb

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Holy smokes Kuaizi. I went to all that trouble for nothing. Just kidding ya.:D

Truth has many different meanings. I can't speak for others but I can only describe to you what it means to me.

First of all, what Lemmy stated I don't believe in it, therefore I don't take it as the truth. The things I take as the truth are in relation to my being such as my principles, sincerity, fidelity, veracity, etc., and certain statements and beliefs which correspond to my reality and of course the reality of an object like a fish, my computer, the clouds, my Mum, etc.

So I could assume that some people take Lemmy's statement as the truth. You and I don't believe it, but some people do.

I think Lemmy has made a contibution to music as I see every artist making a contribution. To what extent and relative degree is one's own judgement and conclusion as it is someone's to say who's not creative and who's is and again to what level or importance.

Many musicians don't teach at college, school or institution and to say that because of thier choice not to do so, to me, doesn't equate creativity or talent.

I really don't think that there's that much hate for popular music which I think you mean "pop". I don't like some music and ya, I do poke fun at it at times. It is in no way with extreme aversion or ill-intent. I'm just more a less joking around. Having a bit of fun.:D

I don't like Brittany Spears music, but I don't hate it or hate her. When she was having those problems there a few years ago, I was hoping nothing but the best for her. I don't want to see anyone suffer.

I am also guilty of being wrapped. I prefer to use the word, engaged.:grinthumb

:****: Thanks for the responses, I can see where you are coming from. I like to use discussion to figure out things( and organize thoughts), to try and understand someone else's view, and to get things off my chest. I also see it as a chance to learn something. I appreciate any well thought out response (as I feel I take a lot of time writing posts like these, so if a member shrugs it off it's hard not to take it personally).

For the record though, I don't really care much for "pop" music (like the Beibs and Britney Spears) either, but I just feel like it's the subject of hate, and it just seems like something silly to hate a lot. A lot of people I talk to have strong negative reactions to the name Justin Beiber, and it really makes no sense. It's just music. He got booed by thousands of people at a basketball game. I see his name in EVERY single song comments on youtube, and I'm just like really? Why are we talking about Beiber in a Dream Theater song comment thread?
So that's why I have come to the defense of this music, just like chill out people, underneath it's all very similar.
:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online