Review Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (1969)

album review

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
Fine picks indeed, both are classic Led Zeppelin - Dazed & Confused is also one of my two favourites from the album although my other pick would be Good Times, Bad Times. I especially love its intro, the solo and the chorus, and I think it was a great choice for the opening track of their first album, in less than three minutes it showed what they were all about and it was a terrific way to introduce the world to the band.

Overall I think it's a excellent album, particularly for their first album. The only debut I've heard that matches it for quality (admittedly I've not heard that many) in my personal opinion is Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Pronounced...', both are uniformly strong with many great tracks.

I hadn't thought of that comparison before but I can see where your coming from. Both great debut albums, what a great way to introduce the band to the world.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Great review gcczep.:grinthumb

Just my opinion but I think John Paul Jones probably played a huge (uncredited) role in the the album as well. Without his keyboards and bass, the album wouldn't have been the same and he probably had a hand in the arrangements as well. He never seems to get any credit, possibly because he is so quiet and unassuming. All four members contributed to the chemistry that was Led Zeppelin.

Regarding the album, Led Zeppelin (I) was the first Zeppelin album that I really got and understood, even though I already had II and IV. I played it obsessively back in the day. Raw and primal, it's probably still my favourite album of theirs. :)

Last edited:

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Great review gcczep.:grinthumb

Just my opinion but I think John Paul Jones probably played a huge (uncredited) role in the the album as well. Without his keyboards and bass, the album wouldn't have been the same and he probably had a hand in the arrangements as well. He never seems to get any credit, possibly because he is so quiet and unassuming. All four members contributed to the chemistry that was Led Zeppelin.

Regarding the album, Led Zeppelin (I) was the first Zeppelin album that I really got and understood, even though I already had II and IV. I played it obsessively back in the day. Raw and primal, it's probably still my favourite album of theirs. :)

JPJ, as the most talented musician in the band, was a huge influence in Zep's recordings throughout their career. He was the guy who would, on a regular basis, walk in to the studio with stuff he had been working on at home the night before. The rock world is littered with people like him who have not received publishing credits for their input to major successes.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
JPJ, as the most talented musician in the band, was a huge influence in Zep's recordings throughout their career. He was the guy who would, on a regular basis, walk in to the studio with stuff he had been working on at home the night before. The rock world is littered with people like him who have not received publishing credits for their input to major successes.

Agree 100% with that. :grinthumb

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
My favorite of the first 3.
It must have been a serious shot across the bow at the time.
I was around back then, but too young to get it.
My older brother did. I wore out his LP of this long after he had moved on.
To me this album illustrates the idea that Page had for forming the band.
It's the first and most perfect illustration of the conception behind the band.
Of course we can be glad that it formed a start from which to grow.
But for the genuine, uncut, from the barrel, straight no chaser Zep IMO it doesn't get any better.

Page speaking to the late Chris Cornell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ol9XXsS7Q

scarabus

Reaction score
A good debut album, with some amazing tracks. But overall not something I like to revisit
My favourite albums are Houses and Physical

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.