Review Led Zeppelin - Coda (1982)

album review

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Led-Zeppelin - Coda (1982)

This would have to rank as Zeppelin's worst album...but it was a compilation of rare cuts.

You kow what's funny though? I know it's bad...I can sort of hear that it's bad...but I enjoy it from front to back. :heheh:

It's one of those time capsule albums that throw me back in time....good memories of when this album came out. Chatting with friends and all about it back then.

What I call a guilty pleasure feel good album. When I'm spinning it, I don't hate the fact that I'm doing so.

:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: Led-Zeppelin - Coda (1982)

Good write up gcczep :grinthumb. Even though this is an album that was cobbled together to meet obligations I really like it. I bought it soon after it came out and have been playing it ever since. Good memories and this album go hand in hand for me. :cheers2

Metal Health

Reaction score
I just picked up the Remastered version a few weeks ago. Great album! "Darlene" and the unreleased "Sugar Mama" along with "Ozone Baby" were a few of my favorites but the whole album is really spectacular.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I tend to agree with most people here about Coda - it's not a bad album, but up against Led Zep IV, Graffiti, etc. it pales in comparison.

I would add that I consider side one to be the better of the two. I think this is partly because the tracks on side one are mostly from Led Zeppelin's late 60s/early 70s heyday, whereas the songs on side two are from the Presence/In Through The Out Door eras when the band was probably just past its peak. Probably the best thing about this album is that it does feel more like a true LZ record than ITTOD, where Page was rather less prominent than usual. I recently listened to ITTOD and Coda back to back, and when I'm Gonna Groove came on I thought 'Yes, this is it, this is the Led Zeppelin hard rock monster I know and love!'. I like Poor Tom as well. I think it's the combination of folk, blues and rock elements that just gives that feel of classic Zeppelin. Walter's Walk is also pretty good as well. On the other hand, as much as I love John Bonham's drumming, Bonzo's Montreux has far too few ideas to justify its length and just isn't very listenable, while Ozone Baby and Wearing And Tearing are nothing special IMO.

I haven't got the expanded version of Coda, although I'm quite glad that the excellent Hey Hey, What Can I Do has been released on a regular album.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online