Lead Belly

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Geez, a blues section without a Lead Belly thread....

Well, this is now the official appreciation thread for one of my favourite blues musicians!

Huddie William Ledbetter (January 20, 1888 – December 6, 1949) was an American folk and blues musician notable for his strong vocals, virtuosity on the twelve-string guitar, and the songbook of folk standards he introduced.

Although Lead Belly usually played the twelve-string guitar, he could also play the piano, mandolin, harmonica, violin, and "windjammer" (diatonic accordion).[4] In some of his recordings he sings while clapping his hands or stomping his foot.

The topics of Lead Belly's music covered a wide range, including gospel; blues about women, liquor, prison life, and racism; and folk songs about cowboys, prison, work, sailors, cattle herding, and dancing. He also wrote songs about people in the news, such as Franklin D. Roosevelt, Adolf Hitler, Jean Harlow, the Scottsboro Boys, and Howard Hughes.

Lead Belly was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame in 2008.

Lead_Belly_publicity_shot.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
It is kind of hard to believe a thread hasn't been started before now. I know I have mentioned him throughout the forum, but more as a historical side note and "stepping stone" as it were.

His story is truly unique. If it wasn't for the Lomax family, he probably would have died in prison without any of us hearing his landmark music.

The Lead Belly foundation site is a great place to read more about this keystone artist.

LINK HERE

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Recently bough ta collection of his within the last years span! Previously only had him noted as the "Where Did I Sleep Last Night" dude. Such an essential Blues artist! :grinthumb

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
one of the icons of blues music. the book of his life is a fabulous read too!:bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online