Lars Ulrich of Metallica
lars-ulrich-metallica.jpg

VS.

Alex Van Halen of Van Halen
Alex%20van%20Halen.jpg

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Lars couldn't even hold a candle to Alex (who I don't even consider a 'great' drummer)

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I say Alex and that is largely because his band respects him.

Close to a decade ago, there was that Playboy interview with the guys in Metallica in which either Hetfield or Hammett flat out said that Ulrich wasn't a great drummer, which is a comment that was repeated/reiterated in more than one interview. That just happens to be the best known example.

Researching it more, it appears Hetfield had said this repeatedly with his main point being that Ulrich sucked when Metallica was starting out but he remained in the band because everybody assumed he'd get better over time. Hetfield then stated that it never really happened *ouch*

That's a little too much like that whole Jon Bon Jovi/Alec Jon Such thing.

Manic Monkey

Skirt Herder
Reaction score
Lars. Both are great drummers but Ulrich possesses more talent. He's faster, more crisp/clean and more innovative and unique in what he comes up with.

Manic Monkey

Skirt Herder
Reaction score
Close to a decade ago, there was that Playboy interview with the guys in Metallica in which either Hetfield or Hammett flat out said that Ulrich wasn't a great drummer

Ulrich sucked when Metallica was starting out

Do you have any links to back up these accusations?

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Going with Ulrich on this one. When I saw them in concert with The Sword and Lamb of God, they blew both bands out of the water, but not by much, all the bands were great. I've seen live footage of Van Halen, and it was great, just didn't stick out to me as much.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll take Alex in this one...Lars is a good drummer but I've never rated him among the best in metal or rock myself.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online