Kix Official Website

Studio Albums

Kix (1981)
Cool Kids (1983)
Midnite Dynamite (1985)
Blow My Fuse (1988)
Hot Wire (1991)
$how Bu$ine$$ (1995)

I'm sure many remember these guys with big hair band hits such as Don't Close Your Eyes" but these guys have made alot of great music and there is a bit more to explore.

Starting in 1981 with their debut album

41PP1XQNRVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

....to my favorite album by the band "Cool Kids"

411JGHSK38L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

kix+band.jpg

In the early years I heard a much more experimental band but at the end of the day the band just rocks and I guess that's all that matters!!!

COOL KIDS

Restless Blood

Don't Close Your Eyes

Kix+AtlanticPromo.jpg

kix.jpg

kix2.jpg

kix%201980s.jpg

Titokinz

Earthbound misfit
Reaction score
Re: Kix

I find most of these hair bands to have the same generic sound, played over and over. These guys have a few worthy tunes though. :flirt

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

Kix didn't have a great deal of top-tier songs, however their albums were always pretty good from start to finish.

My favorite from them, honestly, was their final studio album from 1995 which was called Show Business.

When they split, two or three guys from the band (including the lead singer) formed a new band in the mid-1990's called Funny Money and proceeded to release a few studio albums. The band sounded pretty much like Kix, at least a direct-to-video/made for tv version if you know what I mean.

Most people don't know this but singer Steve Whiteman apparently had a pretty gnarly lisp when he was younger and he took speech/vocal classes in an effort to better hide it, which had something to with him forming Kix in the first place. At least that is the so-called story.

Kix also inspired one of my cooler phone calls when I was still on the radio. During a broadcast one night, I played some song from one of their middle-years studio albums called Midnite Dynamite. I don't even remember what the song was. However, exactly one week later I was on the air again and took a phone call from a gentleman who actually called in to say (verbatim), "Thank you for playing Kix last week man because it made me remember how much I liked them." He went on to say that right after I played them the week before, he got in his car and drove to the music store in town to see if that album or any of their other ones were in the cd racks. He found Midnite Dynamite and proceeded to buy it because I had just played it. Kind of cool.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Wasn't Steve Whiteman a drummer? One of those drummer turned singer stories??

opera races

Reaction score

From what I've read so far I get the impression Steve Whiteman has always been a singer and teaches voice now too.

I found the Kix s/t album in with my vinyl last night (I randomly decided to go through some "K's" for my ongoing weeding out project) and listened to it. I like it after one listen, want to get back to it. So far nothing in particular stood out but it's nice to hear a consistent sounding album where you're not tempted to skip over any tracks.

I also have Cool Kids on a CD I got years ago. I listened to it at the time and it was probably me but it didn't make much of an impression on me but I had the feeling, knowing me, to hang on to it and try it another time, which I did this morning on the way to work. Again, nothing jumped out at me but a very consistent album I want to explore further.

I've come to the conclusion that if you go into Kix expecting to hear 80's hair band type music ... well ... you don't, or at least I didn't. Sounded to me like straight up rock and roll (def. early 80's though) ranging from somewhat poppy to a harder sound. Now I'm curious to hear the rest of the Kix albums.

It's too bad that Poison supposedly stole their stage act ...

dmckee

Reaction score
When I was in high school I used to stay up late to listen to Heavy Metal from Hell on WBCN; I think it was Sunday nights. I even still have a few cassettes I recorded from the program. That's where I first heard Kix's Midnight Dynamite. That song rocks!

Redneck

punk
Reaction score
Atomic bombs seem sound good to me but it could be even better if there were no singing people in the song, just the music

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online