KISS (Official Thread)

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
Re: The Official KISS Thread!

My understanding is Ace wanted to do a solo record because he felt Gene And Paul were limiting his contributions as a songwriter on KISS records. So to avoid Ace going solo on his own, they came up with the idea of all four members releasing solo records at the same time. So in that sense, it was a KISS release. Of course Ace outsold the other guys and had the sets only hit single so the next two KISS records included more Ace compositions as a result.

rtbuck

Reaction score

The controversy is probably this.

From what I've read & gathered over the years is that Peter wanted to leave the band back in '78(I think Ace also but I can't remember for sure) Anyway, management & Paul & Gene decided to keep the other 2 happy they could put out solo albums & still remain as part of Kiss. Peter was on an ego trip since "Beth" & thought he could make it on his own. In my opinion "Beth" is a good song but it was producer Bob Ezrin who made it great with all the strings,piano, & other orchestations added. They might not sound anything alike but check out the work Ezrin had done on "Steven" by Alice Cooper & then listen to "Beth" & you can tell "Beth" is Ezrin's work. Anyway, it was then decided that all 4 members were going to make solo albums. Each member used their own musicians which definitely make them solo records but what Kiss did was release them all on the same day,each cover painting was similar,at the top left hand corner was the "Kiss" insignia, & in each album was a poster which all 4 interlocked together to make one big poster. So yes,they are all solo records but they were also kind of released as Kiss records.

rtbuck

Reaction score

My understanding is Ace wanted to do a solo record because he felt Gene And Paul were limiting his contributions as a songwriter on KISS records. So to avoid Ace going solo on his own, they came up with the idea of all four members releasing solo records at the same time. So in that sense, it was a KISS release. Of course Ace outsold the other guys and had the sets only hit single so the next two KISS records included more Ace compositions as a result.

Right you are Tiny Tim about Ace. It's a little early & I was pretty positive about the Ace situation but I couldn't remember the details but you jolted my memory!

Right after, the solo albums they recorded 'Dynasty' which led to the famous Tom Snyder interview where Peter & Ace were blitzed & Peter was gone shortly afterward

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Very good gentlemen, I never knew the details of the solo albums until now. I was a little surprised to find out that Ace's was the biggest selling of the four though...:think:

I would have thought Paul would be the most successful. Off topic but I keep looking for a debut album by the band "New England", which Paul Stanley produced, but I haven't even seen an MP3 laying around anywhere.:(

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

Very good gentlemen, I never knew the details of the solo albums until now. I was a little surprised to find out that Ace's was the biggest selling of the four though...:think:

I would have thought Paul would be the most successful. Off topic but I keep looking for a debut album by the band "New England", which Paul Stanley produced, but I haven't even seen an MP3 laying around anywhere.:(

If memory serves it was Ace, Gene, Paul, Peter in order of most copies sold, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The four combined barely outsold Love Gun.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That's not surprising, very few solo albums released by members of a major famous band do as well, but if you are a prolific songwriter you need some way of expressing yourself if the band doesn't record your songs.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Bucky that was great posting original versions of KISS covers. :grinthumb

That made my day and added something GREAT to the entire thread itself!

Yeah as far as the solo albums (which I'm still working on) it was ACE wanting to have more songs and Peter's ego getting out of control. Substance abuse was starting to get in the way as well.

Also when they announced that they wanted to leave the band to Paul & Gene it was on the set of their made for t.v. movie KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park inside one of their trailers.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

eb50225b9da0a25ed341c010.L._AA240_.jpg

audio_solo-posters.jpg

249732_1799473102952_1859000_n.jpg

Certified 10/02/78 The solo albums would take two weeks to attain simultaneous Gold and Platinum status

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.