King Crimson Are Working on New Material

Abraxas

Reaction score
ultimate-guitar.com

After announcing reunion in 2013 and hitting the road with a string of worldwide tour dates, prog fathers King Crimson have now officially confirmed working on fresh studio material.

The announcement was made by mastermind Robert Fripp, who has revealed titles and brief descriptions of three brand new KC tunes, titled "Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind, "Meltdown," and "Suitable Grounds for the Blues."

"Our first three days this week we were addressing additions to King Crimson performance repertoire for live work in 2015. Two repertoire pieces and new material," Mr. Bob kicked off, only to address the new stuff in more detail.

"'Radical Action' ​is an instrumental 12/8 blues shuffle on C7, F7 and G7. It is about as far from sounding like a three-chord blues shuffle as, on this particular morning, I can conceive without investing.

"And were this information not presented for the consideration of anyone with some interest in the mechanics of King Crimson music, I doubt whether this conclusion would be reached; however much time, energy and analysis were involved. The KC Minefield is built in, to encourage the attention of anyone playing the piece and dissuade a slumberingness of wit. Little KC material repeats exactly, while often sounding as if it does.

"'Meltdown' ​and ​'Suitable Grounds for the Blues' ​both have vocals. '​SGFTB' ​is a blues, but of the Crimson variety. That is, not in 4/4 and sometimes with blues changes."

Additionally, the band is working on a live album consisting of various footage taken from last year's US tour. Fripp added: "The amount of work involved in this is colossus maximare est, with much of the gruntwork heroically taken on by [vocalist/guitarist] Jakko [Jakszyk]. We are several tracks into fine-tuning what will, on completion, represent one complete KC performance, drawn from all the shows. A DGM / Panegyric Wonder release."

As for the fresh goods, the official release points out they are currently "under construction."

The band's latest studio album, "The Power to Believe," saw its release in 2003. What makes the prospect of new material particularly interesting is the fact that KC are now operating as a seven-piece featuring three drummers. Additionally, for the first time since 1981, the band is not fronted by Adrian Belew, meaning that we might be in for some drastically different tunes. Therefore, stay tuned.

As of 2013, King Crimson is the one and only Robert Fripp on guitar and soundscapes, Mel Collins on saxophones and flutes, master Tony Levin on bass and Chapman Stick, Pat Mastelotto on acoustic and electronic drums and percussion, Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree fame on drums, Jakko Jakszyk on guitar, lead vocals and flute, and Bill Rieflin on custom percussion, keyboards and backing vocals.

King Crimson Are Working on New Material, Reveal Details of Three New Songs | Music News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

JimJam

Reaction score
I am always interested in new Crimson material; we'll see what comes out of it.

Radagast

Reaction score
So am I to not be treated to Greg Lake as well. O well, I can still look forward to an upcoming "YES"recording.

:bow:Dedicated ELP fan :bow:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.