Kim Carnes (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
512625991.jpg

No It's not Bonnie Tyler, though some have said they sound quite alot alike. Kim is best known for her 1981 hit Bette Davis Eyes, which went to # 1 on the US charts and stayed there for 9 weeks!!!

But before there was an album called Mistaken Identity there was a songwriter who signed a publishing deal in 1969. Carnes had written and recorded the ending credit theme to Vanishing Point in 1971.

She also wrote Sing Out Strong for Jesus which Willie Mae Thornton had recorded. In 1972 Kim released her first album called REST ON ME which included the single You're a Part Of Me!!

Kim_Carnes_-_Rest_on_Me.jpg

akimcarnes.jpg

Her next album after 1975's self titled release, SAILIN' was released in 1976 and included Love Comes from Unexpected Places, which won the 1977 American Song festival. It's more known for being a selection on Barbara Streisand's "Superman" album in 1977.

Kim-Carnes-Sailin-314846.jpg

Striesand also recorded Stay Away on Songbird in 1978 and Kim it the top 40 with a re-recording of You're a Part of Me with Gene Cotton in 1978!!

Then in 1980 a song we all would come to know was sung with Kenny Rogers.........a song inspired by her and her husband's concept album "Gideon"

Kim had her first top 10 hit with More Love shortly after...which was originally a Smokey Robinson tune!!

Which brings us to Mistaken Identity....add some more of your favorite Kim songs or discuss her career since Bette Davis Eyes or before this # 1 hit had us all on the dance floor in the early 80's!!

f924024128a0c37acd604010.L.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Kim Carnes

Cool thread as I've only heard Bette Davis Eyes! Her version of Love Comes from Unexpected Places is infinitely better than Barbwa Stweisands version! She has a great distinct voice and it was worth the listen to hear what she had besides that hit! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Cool :grinthumb...always interesting to go through an artists life before and after the song that he/she is really only known for by the majority.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Kim Carnes has one of those raspy voices you either like or hate......I happen to like her. She had some great pop tunes in the 80's.

Berndawg

Reaction score

The female version of the Rod Stewart voice. Artists like her were destined for short careers. She was a product of the times, good looking women that could sing some catchy songs. Others like her, Laura Branigan (Gloria, Self Control), Bonnie Tyler (Its a Heartache, Total Eclipse of the Heart) and Nicolette Larsen (Its gonna take a lot of love) all shared the same fate. But they sang some excellent songs in their short careers.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

My wife and I used to sing Don't Fall in Love With A Dreamer. Still my favorite tune by her (and of course, Kenny)

Berndawg

Reaction score

Its really too bad that she didn't have a longer career. One of the most unique female voices in music. When I listen to some of the women on todays
music, people like Kim Carnes should have gone farther.

ANF

Reaction score

Always loved "Bette Davis Eyes". I remember being very little and always hitting the floor with the beat whenever the video would come on MTV.

Besides that, I loved "Crazy In The Night", "More Love", "Voyeur", "Invisible Hands" and other stuff. Sadly that one song towered over the rest of her career that she spent the rest in the shadow of that one blockbuster.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online