Keith Richards slams Led Zeppelin and The Who

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Robert-Plant-Keith-Richards-Roger-Daltrey-630x420.jpg

It remains to be seen whether Keith Richards‘ new solo album wins him any new fans. His publicity tour on behalf of the record, on the other hand, seems certain to decrease his standing with some of his peers.

Weeks after calling Black Sabbath and Metallica “great jokes” and describing the Grateful Dead as “boring s—,” Richards was asked to offer his thoughts on Led Zeppelin and the Who — and it went about as poorly as you might have already guessed.

“I love Jimmy Page, but as a band, no,” said Richards on the subject of Led Zeppelin. “With John Bonham thundering down the highway in an uncontrolled 18-wheeler … He had cornered the market there. Jimmy is a brilliant player. But I always felt there was something a little hollow about it, you know?”

As far as the Who are concerned, Richards is unimpressed with singer Roger Daltrey, whom he dismissed as “all flash.” And while he has a somewhat kinder opinion of drummer Keith Moon, he was something of a one-trick pony in Richards’ eyes.

“[Moon] could play to [Pete Townshend] like nobody else in the world. But if somebody threw him into a session with somebody else, it was a disaster,” argued Richards. “There’s nothing wrong with that; sometimes you’ve got that one paintbrush, and you rock it.”

Ultimately, the surviving members of many of the bands Richards has slagged in recent months — including the Beatles, whose landmark Sgt. Pepper’s record he waved off as “rubbish” — can take comfort in knowing that not only are they in pretty good company, but they may have just been born in the wrong place to hit his ear the right way. As he put it, “I just was never really interested in that many English rock ‘n’ roll bands actually, at all.”

Read More: Keith Richards Dismisses Led Zeppelin as 'Hollow,' Calls the Who 'All Flash' | Keith Richards Dismisses Led Zeppelin as 'Hollow,' Calls the Who 'All Flash'

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Man, the drugs really did a number on this guy's brain, huh?

Why can't he just be happy being a part of one of the greatest rock bands and leave it at that?

Metal Health

Reaction score
Ok. This was hard for me to deal with when he slammed Black Sabbath, The Grateful Dead, AC/DC, and Metallica. Even The Who is okay with me. He's just a crazy old man who is going insane. But, it wasn't until now, when he slammed my favorite band that I get REALLY PISSED OFF. Led Zeppelin is and will always one of the greatest rock/metal bands ever. I AM TAKING THIS PERSONALLY!

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I never thought I'd be saying these words, but Keef has become very boring and predictable.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Interesting all this hype is being generated at the same time he is prepping a solo album. The worst and most desperate act of a "look at me" attention beggar.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Honestly, these days I will take The Stones over Zepp easily. But I think pound for pound Zeppelin was a better band. The Stones had immaculate pop sensibilities but their forays into more musical territory were a looooot more hit & miss, whereas Zepp hit on both sides of the spectrum pretty well.

JimJam

Reaction score
Keith is going to run out of bands to trash. Soon he won't have anyone left to admire other than Chuck Berry.

As Phil B. pointed out, this is very much about bringing attention to his new album.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I don't give two shits what this old moron says about bands I like. Just shows how much the media need to stop giving this dumb shit publicity.

~Banshee~

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
Yeh...what Riff Raff said !!

I find it all rather sad that seasoned, successful artists have to come out and say such shitty things about other equally successful acts.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online