- Dave Hope / bass, vocals
- Phil Ehart / drums

1. Down The Road
2. Song For America
3. Lamplight Symphony
4. Lonely Street
5. The Devil Game
6. Incomudro/Hymn To The Atman

Kansas' first two recordings, their self-titled debut from 1974 and 'Song For America (1975) somewhat embodies the midwest mainstreet of small town rural America with an earthy authenticity of blue collar boogie stomp, southern hard rock and symphonic prog. The second album has basically the same structure and substance of their eponymous album but with more of that massive American sounding melodic hard rock with grand vocal harmonies and heavier progressive passages of the virtuoso instrumental interplay between the guitars, violin, keys and even the rhythm section, especially in the three epics tracks, "Song For America", "Lamplight Symphony" and "Incomudro/Hymn To The Atman" that propel and prosper these three polished prog songs. Original and down to earth.

The three shorter tracks, "Down The Road", "Lonely Street" and "The Devil Game" are Steve Walsh's prog heavy blues-rock compositions which contrasts the style of Kerry Livgren's extended complex grand arrangements with his creative hook-crooked time sig shifts. Surely "Song For America" was Kansas' first classic song but sadly would be later overshadowed by their MOR/AOR hits. The title track has tremendous tempo changes with subdued romantic keyboards and velvety violin lines prompted by breaks of interludes and mighty melodies of synths and strings with a rolling thunder rhythm of bass and drums. The ghostly, grim and grandeur of "Lamplight Symphony" is beautifully and darkly dramatically designed revelled in sparkling piano runs and stings with frenetic fiddling and scorching synth solos and is crowned by the over-the-top, bitter sweet vocals. The intro of "Incomudro/Hymn To The Atman" is mushy and melodramatic but eventually bursts into ******** solos from the keys and violin and then about the halfway point of the track a heavy, almost unbearable drum solo sets in and shortly (thankfully) expires into a suspenseful guitar solo accompanied by a rapid jubilent keyboard. Excessive but well excuted.

'Song For America' is well rounded and grounded. Subsequent releases, especially 'Leftoverture' and 'Point Of Know Return' hears the band browbeating, over-pompously and bomb-bastically trying to blast their UK symphonic prog contemporaries to smithereens and were also armed and augmented with their FM formulated top 40 hits, "Carry On Wayward Son", "Dust In The Wind" and "Point Of Know Return" which in turn aided in the claim by some that Kansas is/was the "greatest" American prog band of the '70's...Really?...Compared to whom?...Starcastle, Cathedral, Yezda Urfa, Styx and...ummm...hmmm. (lol)

Rating: 3/5

535px-3_stars.svg.png

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Song For America - Kansas

One of my favorite Kansas albums, I'd give it 4/5 stars myself.

Lamplight Symphony is one of their best songs period.

Another tremendous review Joe, everyone should take a trip to Kansas once in a while.;)

cyggy

Cygnusx1
Reaction score

The best value for money box set I ever bought was Kansas (2 cds) and a booklet for about £15 ..... I played it to death and didn't even realise I worked and painted several rooms in my house .... Great Music .

My fav Kansas releases ;

Power
In The Spirit Of Things

both have Steve Morse on gtr :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I really enjoy this album....nice write up!!! :grinthumb

I'd rank it a star higher personally. :cheers2

joe

Reaction score

One of my favorite Kansas albums, I'd give it 4/5 stars myself.

Lamplight Symphony is one of their best songs period.

Another tremendous review Joe, everyone should take a trip to Kansas once in a while.;)

I really enjoy this album....nice write up!!! :grinthumb

I'd rank it a star higher personally. :cheers2

Thanx guys. I just about rated it 4 stars. Couldn't make it through 'Leftoverture'. Just couldn't take it. Sounds so disingenuous, for a lack of a better word, compared to their first two albums.

The best value for money box set I ever bought was Kansas (2 cds) and a booklet for about £15 ..... I played it to death and didn't even realise I worked and painted several rooms in my house .... Great Music .

My fav Kansas releases ;

Power
In The Spirit Of Things

both have Steve Morse on gtr :)

I bought the box set when it was first released. It's been years since I've pulled it out. I'll give those two tracks a spin. Also a fan of Steve Morse.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I would give Song a good strong 4 if not 4 1/2 ( Blasphemy !!! :heheh:)
Steve Morse era Kansas is much too pop radio for my taste :zzz: though I like him in Purple.

runtfan

Reaction score
I'd rate the album around 3.5 or 4 stars, but the song "Song For America" is possibly my favorite Kansas tune.

cyggy

Cygnusx1
Reaction score
I would give Song a good strong 4 if not 4 1/2 ( Blasphemy !!! :heheh:)
Steve Morse era Kansas is much too pop radio for my taste :zzz: though I like him in Purple.

Steve Morse

I haven't yet heard him in Deep Purple , but I have all his solo albums and a few bits and pieces , Dixie Dreggs anyone ?

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Steve Morse

I haven't yet heard him in Deep Purple , but I have all his solo albums and a few bits and pieces , Dixie Dreggs anyone ?

I saw him playing live w/ Deep Purple and he is an amazing guitarist, of that there is little doubt.

Fever

Reaction score
I saw Kansas last year and they play Down The Road in concert

Here is a clip from their 2009 dvd with Billy Greer on lead vocals

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online