rtbuck

Reaction score
61CsdRsY5QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kansas – ‘There’s No Place Like Home’
Released: 2010
Label: Star City
format: DVD
Review by Bucky

In 2009 Kansas celebrated their 35th anniversary & in February of 2009 they filmed the ‘There’s No Place Like Home’ DVD over the course of 3 concerts in 3 days in Topeka, Kansas with the Washburn Symphony Orchestra. The results are spectacular as Kansas revisited every era from the early/mid 70’s through the mid/late 80’s.

The current line-up for Kansas & the line-up for their 35th anniversary tour features Steve Walsh on Keyboards & vocals, Rich Williams on guitars, Phil Ehart on drums, Billy Greer on bass & vocals, & David Ragsdale on violin & guitar. The DVD kicks off with “Howling at the Moon” from the epic “Magnum Opus” off of the ‘Leftoverature’ album. Kansas then went back to their debut album from 1974 & played “Belexes” which was followed by the popular title track of their ‘Point of Know Return’ album. Up next is “the title track from their 2nd album “Song for America”. During the instrumental break of the song they showed black & white video stock footage of factories from yesteryear hard at work. Kansas then played “On the Other Side” from 1979’s ‘Monolith’ album. Billy Greer introduced guitarist Steve Morse who joined Kansas in 1986 (the same year Greer was hired) & Morse played phenomenal guitar on three tunes “Musicatto” from the ‘Power’ album & “Ghosts” & “Rainmaker” from 1988’s ‘In the Spirit of Things’ album. The band went into “Nobody’s Home” which was followed by an introduction of another special guest…guitarist Kerry Livgren. Livgren is sporting an unbelievably thick handlebar moustache & the band launched into their smash hit from 1980 “Hold on”. Next is a great rendition of “Cheyenne Anthem” from ‘Leftoverature’. “Icarus II” from 2000’s ‘Somewhere to Elsewhere’ album is next complete with war footage of planes battling in the air & afterward Kansas went back to 1975’s ‘Masque’ album & played “Icarus (Borne on Wings of Steel). The band continued on with two more songs from ‘Leftoverature’: “Miracles Out of Nowhere” & “The Wall”. The end was approaching & Kansas finished off their performance with three hits: 1983’s “Fight Fire with Fire”, the crowd pleasing hit from 1977 “Dust in the Wind”, & of course their most popular song “Carry On Our Wayward Son” which Kerry Livgren kicked ass on.

Overall, a phenomenal performance & I have to give props to Rich Williams who has to be one of the most underrated guitarists of all-time. He does an amazing job switching from electric to acoustic guitar without missing a note. The entire band was spectacular including the guest stars Steve Morse & Kerry Livgren all of who really shined on the bonus track. Did I say bonus track??? I most certainly did & it is probably my favorite part of the entire DVD. It was filmed during a sound check & it featured both Livgren & Morse who were unbelievably amazing in a wild seven minute jam of “Down the Road” from their ‘Song for America’ album.

Bucky

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That one is on my list for sure now...thanks for the usual 'Illuminating and eloquent' summary Bucky.:hab:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did the Orchestra play with Kansas on this DVD?

I so want this DVD :good

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to go to town tomorrow, I will have to see if Walmart has it in stock :)

Mark of Cenla

Reaction score
I got it for Christmas last year, and it is quite good. My wife's family seemed to like when we watched it after Christmas dinner. Peace and goodwill.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online