Jurassic-rock/Classic-rock Rediscovered

JackInBox

Reaction score
Todays 15-19 years old rediscovered music from 30-40 years ago !

'Hey Jude'? Duude.

The Top 40 Are Over 40 for Teens With a Taste for Old-School Rock

By J. Freedom du Lac
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 14, 2005; Page C01

David Zeke -- inquisitive, artistic, analytical and vastly smarter than your average high school senior -- is failing to find the irony here. So he adores the aged song that's exploding from the speakers connected to his desktop computer. So what?

"It's just really good music," the 17-year-old from Vienna says with a shrug. This, as the snarling vocals come barreling out of the time-warp machine: "I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)/I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)!"

It's the Who's landmark youth anthem "My Generation," recorded 40 years ago for a generation that has since turned gray, with adultly concerns and everything else that the song's author, Pete Townshend, seemed to fear when he made that famous 1965 declaration, "Hope I die before I get old."

Townshend was in his mid-forties when Zeke was born. The song itself already had reached the legal drinking age.

And yet, it's Zeke's music now. His buddies', too, as classic rock has become their idiom of choice...........................

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
And think of it this way, Jack. If we had listened to music of this vintage when we were 15-19, the music would have been made between 1925 - 1930! As an old codger, there's music from that era that I've grown to love. But it never would have had any appeal to me as a teenager. At a time in history characterized by the incredible rate of change, it's amazing how the music of the 60s & 70s still connects with young folk today.

Spike

Zombeels

Reaction score
When I worked at a used record store in the late 80's it was so refreshing to see youngsters excited about 60's music. To me it was still the best era for music.

DocRock

Vinyl Overlord
Reaction score
Hi...
I'm the newbie on the block. I have been in the music business for a lonnnnnnnnnng time. My son just turned 16 and I have a good time turning him on to stuff I grew up listening to. I was a big "punk" fan... the original "punk" as some people called it back in the day. You most commonly see it described as "garage bands" these days. I always have to laugh when I walk in to my son's room and catch him listening to the Blues Magoos or Shadows of Knight. Next up on his serving platter....pun intended... The Music Machine. Reminds me of...me...when I was his age...

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
This is an bit of an Ian Gillan interview (of course it's DP related, you all know me ) recently that says alot about the state of classic rock. Of course I'm bias, but I'd rather see good musicians playing sophisticated hard rock than some record company's flavor of the month. DP with Steve Morse has consistantly put out great heavy rock without resting on thier laurels. Personally I could care less if they played Smoke on the Water next time I see them. I go to celebrate thier new music just as much. My hats off to classic rockers who go on tour without it being a nostalgia act and have something new and good to offer.

The song "MTV", that one says a lot about today´s music and music television and all that. How do you feel about that? You´re a band that´s been around faor a long, long time, but there´s not a big chance of you being seen on MTV or other channels these days.

IG: No chance at all! In fact, the interesting thing is that after this last tour, we played about 38 countries and to millions of people, and the average age of our audience is 18 years old!

Cool!

IG: Well, that´s what I said to my daughter when she came out of Wembley. I said "Who let all the kids in, Grace?" And she said "Dad, you just don´t get it do you?". Well, that´s nice, but 20 years ago when MTV is in its infancy, they swore they would never play any Deep Purple records because we were too old then. So, actually the song is not about MTV! The song is about classic rock radio and I was listening to a radio station in Buffalo, New York when Roger Glover was on. We were touring and I was staying at a friend´s house and...you can get the whole story if you go on my website gillan.com. But she (radio dj) was not in the slightest bit interested in talking about "Bananas". He was on for about 20 minutes and everytime he started talking about the reasons for the tour, the new record, she was going "Yeah, tell us about this and tell us about that!". She did not want to talk about it and in the end as she finished the interview she said "Yeah, Roger Grover, lead guitar, Deep Purple, Smoke on the water yeah!". She got everything wrong and I thought "My God, it´s happening to radio as well!". Once you´ve had your time in terms of the people who design these categorys, then you might as well be dead as far as they´re concerned. We know in our hearts that this band is very vibrant, performing to young audiences, totally sold out everywhere we go...in the major venues, but somehow it seems divorced from the industry. So they think we´re dead, so let´s poke them. So I´m poking them with some fun with the lyrics. I know a lot of people in the musicbusiness so I´m not being that wicked. Just a little bit.

Last edited:

Reaction score
**** ya , im 15 and was just listenin to an all grateful dead satelite radio station with my dad haha

and my band just played a gig, 1980, but livin after midnight by judas priest, do you wanna dance - ramones, paranoid- sabbath, we were gonna play a boston tune but, didnt learn it in time haha tough stuff

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online