Juliette Lewis - Terra Inconita (2009)

rtbuck

Reaction score
61%2BomHvPlCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Juliette Lewis ‘Terra Inconita’

Label: The End Records

Review by Bucky for R n R Universe

One of my favorite “Rock n Roll” moments in a movie took place in the 1994 movie ‘Natural Born Killers’ when Juliette Lewis was dancing around a diner to “The Way I Walk” by Robert Gordon & then Flipping out to “Sh*t List” by L7. I immediately thought of an Ian Hunter tune called “That Girl is Rock & Roll” & I found out almost 10 years with the release of ‘Like a Bolt of Lightning’ that Juliette Lewis really was rock & roll. Through her 3 releases with the Licks I never once looked at her as the movie actress. Juliette showed us that rock & roll was pumping through her veins as she performed with the energy & raw power of Iggy Pop & Patti Smith.
Juliette is back in 2009 with her new album ‘Terra Incognita’ & without the Licks this time. Although there are plenty of “licks” on the album it is Juliette’s vocal performance that overpowers the entire album especially on the dirty bluesy “Hard Lovin’ Woman” as it features some dirty distorted blues guitar backing Lewis’ raspy vocals as she sings as if the demon gods summoned the soul of Janis Joplin to enter her body. The opening tune (after the 1 minute intro) is “Noche Sin Fin” & it sets the pace for the rest of the album which wraps Juliette’s vocals around a heavy rhythm. The title track “Terra Incognita” sounds like a typical Licks style song once it kicks in after 34 seconds with a great hook that lures the listener in for the rest of the tune. “Fantasy Bar” is the first single off of the album & has a cool almost hypnotic “Paint it Black” rhythm running through it but pop enough to keep up with the times. “All is God” is a really strong track that has a lot of emotion. I really like “Uh Huh” as it has a happy kind of poppy feel to it that just puts you in a good mood. Other songs such as “Romeo” & “Female Persecution” have a Cat Power style to them. “Junkyard Heart” is an all around good song with a great “Wah Wah” guitar solo while the acoustic “Suicide Dive Bombers” is a well written song that feels a bit like a Chrissie Hynde tune. The final track “The Devil Knows” is a cool sounding rocker which opens with a line “I Got my venom to keep me warm…” & with Juliette’s vocal performance on “Hard Lovin’ Woman” I’m sure she was spewing venom.
Overall the album is good & although it doesn’t have the garage band sound as her previous releases it does show a different side of Juliette Lewis.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Juliette Lewis ‘Terra Inconita’

Another first class review Bucky, I am tempted to get this album and check it out now after reading your Exuberant description.:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Again, I applaud your review skills :) Excellent work!

I have heard other Juliette Lewis works, she isn't too bad, actually.

Thanks for the detailed review.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score

Had no idea she sang. Thanks for the insight.

A bit of trivia: She's the daughter of Geoffery Lewis (Clint Eastwoods buddy a.k.a. Orville in Every Which Way But Loose)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have always liked Geoffery Lewis, I remember the first movie I saw him in, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, with Clint and George Kennedy and Jeff Bridges.

So she is his daughter, he must be a proud poppa.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score

I have always liked Geoffery Lewis, I remember the first movie I saw him in, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, with Clint and George Kennedy and Jeff Bridges.

So she is his daughter, he must be a proud poppa.

Not to get off the subject but is it not halarious when Jeff Bridges is heckling George Kennedy in Thunderbolt & Lightfoot?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Yeah I enjoyed that, and the cars TeleCat, every time I watch my DVD I am time trippin', they just don't make them like that anymore.

Great movie for those of you who have never seen it.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Here are a couple of vids of Juliette singing with Camp Freddy:

I happened to catch them in 2003 and Juliette put on a great show!

I'll have to check out iTunes for Terra Inconita.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.