Run Time: 36:30
Lead Vocals: Steve Perry
Guitars: Neal Schon
Bass: Ross Valory
Drums: Aynsley Dunbar
Keys: Gregg Rolie

Tracks

1. Lights

One of the well known songs from Journey and a popular live song. Steve Perry wrote this song about his city by the bay. Once you first hear his voice you know instantly he is going to do great things in music.

2. Feeling That Way

This is a shared vocal performance by Perry and Rolie. I have to admit that I think Rolie is a great musician but just average on vocals. The combination however is perfect.

3. Anytime

Another duel vocal performance by Perry and Rolie. This song is usually played paired up with "feeling that way" on classic rock radio. Out of the two I like this song better. I think it just has a better flow to it.

4. La Do Da

This song starts out with a heavy guitar riff and drops to a short guitar solo before Perry comes in. Near the end a nice guitar solo brings the song back to life. Very underrated song in my opinion.

5. Patiently

This is a ballad and a taste of what is to be Journey through the 80's. It isn't a bad song because it does pick up quite a bit at about half way.

6. Wheel in the Sky

This is probably the most well known song from the album. The voice is haunting and guitars chug along in a perfect fusion of musical harmony. This is classic rock at it's finest.

7. Somethin' to Hide

Honestly, this is one of my favorite tracks on the whole album. I dare anyone to find a singer to do falsetto as well as Perry does in this song. At the end Perry kind of mimics the guitar solo. It does sound like two guitars overlapping which is mind-blowing.

8. Winds of March

This is my favorite Journey song with Perry. The lyrics are amazing. The guitar solo along with organ parts are perfect. Dunbar lays down some fine underrated drumming. The bass line holds everything together. The song starts out slower but at 2:18 the song picks up with Perry holding a note that seems to go on forever. This is probably the last reminisce of the old Journey that I do love.

9. Can Do

This song has a very catchy/pop feel to it. Not a bad song but one of the weakest on the album.

10. Opened The Door

Another slow, ballad type song. In my honest opinion this is the worse song on the album. If it weren't for the guitar solo at the end this song would just be pathetic.

Final Thoughts

This album has the perfect combo of musicians. Each one of these guitars are at the top when it comes to their respected instruments. Perry comes in and makes them just that much better. However, I wish they would have stuck more to the earlier sound of Journey more. I give this album a 9 out of 10. They lose a point due to the fact of album arrangement. It felt to me as if they were rushing to get it done. The first 5 tracks are decent while 6 through 8 are amazing. The last 2 are the weakest and that is what they leave us with. Seriously? We want more!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Infinity - Journey

Probably my favorite Journey album (of the Steve Perry era) and it was the first one I bought when it came out.

I'd agree with your assessment overall FireandWater....maybe 8.5 on my scale.:D

Mr. T

Reaction score

Love this album also. The Feeling That Way/Anytime segue is still one of the best ever put on record IMO. Gets a 9 from me!

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score

Have to agree with all that's been said before, a classic album all the way through. A solid 8.5 - 9 from me.

Hardnecker

Reaction score

I prefer Evolution and Departure over Infinity. Infinity was poorly produced in my opinion. Some great tracks on there though with Winds Of March being my fave.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I really like this album and it was the beginning of a good 5 album streak for Journey, with "Evolution" "Departure" "Escape" and "Frontiers" to follow. Out of the 5 albums, Evolution is my fave.

I would give Infinity a 4.5/5 with "Wheel in the Sky" being my favorite song off this album!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I'm also a fan of Infinity! Nice write up...and I like the last two tracks as well.

:peek

:heheh:

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

Evolution is my fave of the Perry era but this is second. Perfect for 1978.

Rockperson

Reaction score

^^ Same as me, this is a great album, I really like every track on this but love Winds Of March, Wheel In The Sky and Opened The Door.

Fantastic group back then :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online