Joni Mitchell - Shine

artyjames

Reaction score
hey so I work for UMG as an intern and being that I have been a big fan of Joni Mitchell's stuff for a couple of years now I was super excited to check out her new album "Shine". For all of you familiar with her past stuff you will get the same Joni Mitchell greatest and amazing listening experience. For everyone not familiar with her music,it combines the likes of jazz,soul,folk, and a bit of classical influences.Thoughts?Opinions? I came across this link of hers www.concordmusicgroup.com/audio/asx/Joni_Mitchell_Shine_EPK.asx
It has a lot about her.

Last edited:

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
Re: Joni Mitchell

I listened to it for the first time on Saturday. I liked it. I'll certainly listen to it again. it makes a gradual impression. starting out with an instrumental puts you in a certain frame of mind and the lyrics are certainly interesting (as always)

breaking no new ground but I think I liked it better on first spin than I have any of hers since maybe 'Turbulent Indigo'. the real stand out thing is her voice. Like on 'Travelogue', her voice has deepend and I see this as an entirely good thing. she still has her range but she can get her voice to do some things it hasn't really done before. throaty things. I really like the direction.

the production aspect of it bugs me a bit. she uses some pretty dated technology, maybe this will grow on me as an interesting choice but I sort of doubt it. it sounds a little cheesy in places. still, the songs are strong and her voice is strong and the whole 'new agey' vibe maybe needs a little cheese for flavor.

I think JM is a dynamite artist and this is certainly a strong effort. it doesn't grab you by the lapels, the music floats in the room like cigarette smoke. not long ago she said she wasn't going to make records anymore. I'm glad she changed her mind. the record leaves the taste that she's not sure how SHE feels about it.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

I'm looking forward to hearing this new project. I'll be procuring it probably around yuletide. Right now I'm spending my CD allowance on Akron/Family, but once that's done, there are some new projects on my list of "must-haves", and Joni's new project is definitely near the top.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

I intend to invest in this as well. Currently on my must get list are Neil Young's Chrome Dreams and R.E.M. Live - both of which are scheduled to be released tomorrow. It's like an early Christmas! :)

artyjames

Reaction score

I agree that Joni is dynamite. There are so many projects out there that I am excited about and been wanting to hear.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online