Johnny Winter (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Re: Johnny Winter

I love him, have quite a few of his albums and have seen him live with Sox, he sure can play and people should listen to him and have at least 3 of his albums, I have some early stuff by him, " It was a Jack Daniels kind of day" is a fave early track.

rtbuck

Reaction score

One of my favorites. In the late 70's I became obsessed with buying records with Chuck Berry cover songs (I even bought 38 Special's debut because they covered "Around & Around"). Anyway, I spotted 'Live Johnny Winter And" because the cover looked cool. I looked at the song titles spotted "Johnny B. Goode" along with "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "The Rock & Roll Medley", & "Good Morning Little School Girl" & bought it right away. That album kicked ass & then I was reading the back cover & found out Rick Derringer was in the band. I was hooked buying everything I could find. I remember by the late 80's I was counting my records & was shocked that I had 17 Johnny Winter albums. I seen him back in 1982 & he was amazing live back then.

I like everything he has put out whether its his blues or hard rock stuff. The version of "Highway 61 Revisited" off of the 'Captured' album is unbelievable (almost 11 minutes long!). I love 'Guitar Slinger', 'Progressive Blues Experiment', & 'Red, Hot, & Blue' but my favorite album is 'Still Alive & Well'(it's more of a hard blues rock). My favorite tune is "Still Alive & Well" which is what I've been using as my theme song.

It was sad seeing the shape he was in on his 'Live from NYC' DVD. After seeing that I came across a wild article on him in a rock magazine(possibly Classic Rock) which was about how his previous manager was screwing him over. I don't remember the details but one of the band members stepped in & took over because the previous manager had Winter believing he was in worst shape than he was & basically kept him addicted to drugs for years while robbing him financially. It was a sad story but it did have kind of a happy ending

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

Yup, that article is google-able somewhere - seems his new manager managed to get Johnny back to something close to his former self. When I saw him he was pretty much at his worst, physically. On top of the massive drug habit his former manager had him on he'd also just fallen in his home so... he was a long way away from his guitar-slinging best.

But as I understand it he's back with a vengeance, physically.

rtbuck

Reaction score

I ordered "Raisin' Cain: The Wild & Raucous Story of Johnny Winter" last Week & the book got here today. It definitely looks pretty wild.

Here's the product description from Amazon:

"Author Mary Lou Sullivan sat with Johnny Winter for hours of exclusive, no-holds-barred interviews, covering the guitar slinger's entire career. From toughing it out in Texas to his appearance at Woodstock, his affair with Janis Joplin, his stadium-filling tours, and washing out on drugs and the temptations of the road before finally fulfilling his dream of becoming a 100-percent pure bluesman, resurrecting the career of Muddy Waters, and winning a Grammy Award for his effort, this is a raucous roller coaster of story. Rolling Stone magazine has called Johnny Winter one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Ripped off and beaten down by unscrupulous managers, strung out, living the extreme highs and extreme lows of an uncompromising musician, Johnny is a true rock 'n' roll survivor. Signing with Columbia in 1969 for the largest advance ever paid a musician (which led to his appearance at Woodstock, recently reissued in the deluxe Woodstock Experience box set) he has jammed with guitar heavies Hendrix, Clapton, and the Allman Brothers. He is a legend and an icon, paving the way for fellow Texas superstars Stevie Ray Vaughan and ZZ Top. Along the way he has gone from boom to bust and back again, but has never lost his lust for his own brand of blues. Still on the road, playing hundreds of gigs a year to his devoted, adoring fans, Johnny, like this book, is the real deal. "

51gqkL-O8FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I need to get my hands on that book ! Johnny Winter is a guitar GOD !!
I personally do not understand why he is never mentioned by people when they
throw around the old time great guitarist list .

rtbuck

Reaction score

I need to get my hands on that book ! Johnny Winter is a guitar GOD !!
I personally do not understand why he is never mentioned by people when they
throw around the old time great guitarist list .

I can't understand it either, The same can be said for Alvin Lee also. In the 70's he really rocked out, one listen to his live 'Captured' album should have given him the "Guitar God" status.The book is definitely worth the money

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Captured Live is such an amazing album .I remember hearing my Uncle play it
and just being dumb founded.

I was like " HOLY $%&* !!!"

The leads thrown around on that album are unbelievable .

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Here's a live clip from Johnny's upcoming DVD release "Live Through Out The 80's "

It's All Over Now

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I will have to buy the book raisin' cain too, have added this to my wish list with all the thousands of albums that I NEED to buy:)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online