John Lennon vs. Bob Dylan

well?

• Total voters

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
If Bob's entire music catalog was on the ground in front of me, and on fire... I wouldn't piss on it to put it out. Hell if Bob himself was standing in front of me on fire, my reaction would be the same (although I may go grab a camera quick). One of the most overrated artists in the history of modern music.

Lennon gets my vote, easily.

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Lennon
Love both really much, but overall, it's Lennon.
Dylan has one of most beautiful songs I've ever heard, but in the middle of 70s he just screws his musical style, while Lennon was just getting better and better.

Berserker

Reaction score
If Bob's entire music catalog was on the ground in front of me, and on fire... I wouldn't piss on it to put it out. Hell if Bob himself was standing in front of me on fire, my reaction would be the same (although I may go grab a camera quick). One of the most overrated artists in the history of modern music.

Lennon gets my vote, easily.

I have never agreed with you more, Dylan sucks.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
John Lennon, for his work with The Beatles. His work with Yoko Ono took him from the sublime to the ridiculous - although I do like the version of Losing You with Cheap Trick. If Bob Dylan and Yoko Ono were on fire, I'd piss on Bob first. I like his songs, but he cannot sing to save his life. Nashville Skyline is a good album, but I'm not sure I would be so keen without Johnny Cash.

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
I have never agreed with you more, Dylan sucks.

John Lennon was the better performer for sure. Dylan may suck as a performer, be he doesn't suck as a songwriter.

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
All Along the Watchtower
All I Really Want to Do
Blowin' in the Wind
Chimes of Freedom
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Father of Night
It Ain't Me, Babe
Just Like a Woman
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Lay, Lady, Lay
Like a Rolling Stone
Mr. Tambourine Man
My Back Pages
Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
The Times They Are A-Changin'

To name a very few. And Lynch, Dylan was born in Duluth and raised in Hibbing. Were is the support for a native son?

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Lennon, easily.

I don't have anything against Dylan. I just never really absorbed him, you know? Apathy, I suppose.

Thing is, I love Neil Young, and his style is very similar to Dylan's. The way they present themselves isn't aesthetically stylish or slick.

Their lyrics aren't fancy or flowery. They convey their message in a gritty, raw, and point blank sort of way.

As far as their singing, of course, anyone who loves music knows that this is always a point the non-fans jump on, with good reason. They're not exactly singing, are they?

By the same token, the fans think this is one of the endearing and distictive qualities of these artists.

Both Neil & Bob warble through as best they can, and they do it well enough to get their point across.

Still, I'm not sure why I picked up on Neil and never really cared much for Dylan.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online