John Cougar Mellencamp (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
John Cougar Mellencamp
JohnCougarMellancamp.jpg

Official Website

Discography

This definitely goes under the I can't believe there's not a thread for this guy category. Who doesn't like this guy? To me this guy defines Americana in rock more than anyone and yes, that includes Springsteen. He's a man that embraces America and the simple life of rural towns down to the diversity of it's people. John has performed with artist with an enthusiasm for breaking race barriers and represents the melting pot of America in his music. John also embraces the vices of America and our rights to enjoy them to our death. Smoking which makes me want to :puke: is a vice that John won't give up even to the point where it's destroyed his health and will likely send him to his grave soon. I'm from the state that says "Live Free or Die" though so I definitely have to say John could be the icon for that! The real Americana is in John's music though and I think no one has made people feel such a good feeling singing about "Small Towns' and their inhabitants (Jack and Diane) than Mr. Mellencamp! Here's a thread to appreciate this great artist! :cheers2

A couple of my favorites:

Jack and Diane
(My favorite and will be ingrained in my head forever)

Human Wheels
(an underrated track IMO)

Wild Nights
(a great cover IMO, like it a lot better than the original, fun soulful song)

Hurts So Good
(can't have this thread without this classic)

So have fun and add to this guys! I left plenty of great tracks out! :grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" John Cougar Mellencamp Thread

OMG! I for some reason recognize Hurts So Good. I don't know where i've heard it, and I don't know when, but I know it! I am coming back to this thread once I listen to more of this artist.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

This one definitely goes hand-in-hand with the "small town Americana" thing. :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

This one definitely goes hand-in-hand with the "small town Americana" thing. :)

I just bought this:

John_Mellencamp_Scarecrow-B0009IW9D4.jpg

and it had an acoustic version of that great song at the end! :grinthumb

It also had a track that was new to me but I end up liking! :grinthumb

Rain on the Scarecrow

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

OMG! I for some reason recognize Hurts So Good. I don't know where i've heard it, and I don't know when, but I know it! I am coming back to this thread once I listen to more of this artist.

You should explore this artist a lot more prime. He's definitely cemented himself very strongly into being a successful career artist and is one of the best at what he does! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Let's see...I have American Fool, Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee. I play American Fool the most, I think that was his breakthrough album and it's a just a good solid record.

I might be wrong but I think Scarecrow was one of the first CD's released by a major artist when the change from vinyl to digital happened, U2's Rattle & Hum was another one that comes to mind.:think:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

51lz2Pc5M9L._SS500_.jpg

My favorite John Mellencamp album is ''Scarecrow'' - great album - his best by far, imo...

I have quite a few of his album, with good songs here and there on each album...

The one thing about Mellencamp that I don't like is - he's sometimes too political - which means too far left, for me. But he is a proud American, so that makes him ok with me.

Anyway....this is my FAVORITE Johnny Cougar Mellencamp song...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score

My favorite album from Mr. Mellencamp is "Uh Huh"

album-uh-huh.jpg

Released in 1983, it features my favorite song from him, Authority Song, and a few other greats such as, Pink Houses, Golden Gates, Lovin' Mother Fo Ya, and Play Guitar. A lot of other people like Crumblin' Down, a lot.. Not my favorite song really, but it's a good listen:grinthumb

Authority Song

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

I have been a fan for as far back as I can remember. All the songs above are great!!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online