John Cooper Clarke (official thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
220px-JohnCooperClarke1979profile.jpg

John Cooper Clarke was born 25 January 1949 in Salford, Manchester UK. He is poet/comedian who started performing in the late 70's and released several albums through to the late 80's

Some of his recorded output had a backing band called the Invisible Girls. John is a festival favorite and can been seen playing student unions. He is considered by many as a national treasure and his original albums are very collectable. He is unique as there is no one else that has done what he has done, he writes his own material and some of this is used in schools and universities and "Chicken Town" is used in the closing scene of The Sopranos episode Stage 5.

John does not have a mobile phone or a computer and if anyone wanted to get in touch with him they used to call his mother who would go round his house and pass on the message.

John Cooper Clarke

Discography:

Singles

Innocents EP (1977)
Post War Glamour Girl(1978)
Gimmix (1979)
Splat / Twat (1979)
It Man (1980)
Night People (1982)
The Day My Pad Went Mad (1982)

Albums

Où est la maison de fromage? (1978)
Disguise in Love (1978)
Walking Back to Happiness (Live - 1979) originally on 10" clear vinyl, not available on CD
Snap, Crackle & Bop (1980)
Me and My Big Mouth (Compilation - 1981)
Zip Style Method (1982)

Kung Fu International

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Well I watched a documentry on him the other month and it is fantastic, I will probably buy it. He talked about the Ramones and how he thought they were the real deal as their shows got shorter every time they played and kind of took that on himself:)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I remember him from the late 70's, he was quite anarchic and used to appear on John Peel's radio show a lot, I think he's these days mainly a poet, I think I saw him on stage once in Liverpool as support act to a great band called Big Country who were one of my earliest favourite bands. He was cut out of the same cloth as John Ottway and Wild Willy Barrett, and Half Man Half Biscuit, happy days!!

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have seen Ottway a couple of times and nseen Half Man once but wasn't that bothered by Half Man but hey we're all different. At least John is still out there performing for people:)

Iggy

Coal mining ruffian
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of otway too. must be a Brit thing. :pullhair::woot::D
Love this ..........
It reminds me of 'Wickerman' by Pulp.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members