Johann Sebastian Bach

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You could be right Craig, and like Magic said people have heard all kinds of music from Bach and other heavyweights without realizing who it was, it has become part of the fabric of our culture.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Okay here's a composition to separate the men from the boys...the hardcores from the lightweights...well you get the picture.:D

I am talking about a CD I bought years ago because I was curious about what a "Fugue" and contrapuntal were all about. In this case the most glorious example I can think of is "The Art of Fugue" performed by Louis Bagger on the harpsichord. This is the kind of music the aristocrats would have heard in the background of their drawing rooms, although I doubt that many of them had J.S. Bach himself playing his magnificent piece.

I usually post a song, but in this case I don't want to scare anybody out of the thread permanently, I enjoy a solo harpsichord myself, but that doesn't mean I play it all the time either.;) (Check the name of the label this CD was released on, it made me smile when I read it after I scanned it tonight.)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Very good gentlemen.:clap:

Back to old moldering J.S. Bach, here is an absolute gem, and one of the most important compositions in music history.

The Well Tempered Clavier, I have two versions, one by Sviatoslav Richter, and Glenn Gould's interpretation as well. The piano was just recently invented during Bach's later years so he didn't compose as much music for it as he could have, but his trademark "sound" and virtuosity is there for anyone who takes the time to play this work. I am not sure but I also believe a relative was in the piano building or tuning business, and that had something to do with this piece. I am going on memory but I'll check and make sure, or if Craig is still with us he will most likely know the answer.:D

Here's a Prelude from Book One.

r-JohannSebastianBachTheWell-TemperedClavier-Front.jpg

er-JohannSebastianBachTheWell-TemperedClavier-Back.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Love Bach...one of my father's favorite composers after Beethoven. :grinthumb

Here's a video of Karl Richter playing Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

...and let's not forget this epic scene from 1940's Fantasia!! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads