Johann Sebastian Bach

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Johann Sebastian Bach

JSBachportrait.jpg

March 21st - 1685 to July 28th - 1750

I can't think of a better composer to start with than J.S. Bach. Born in the town of Eisenach Germany he was the single most important composer of the Baroque period of classical music. I like to think of him as having a huge part in laying the foundation for other composers that came later. He was a superbly talented organist, often neglecting his official duties to practice his playing skills. I would consider him to be the greatest organist in history, people today still marvel at his compositions and the skill required to play them.

I won't go into too much detail, there are plenty of sources for his life story, but like many of the early composers/musicians of his time, he moved around from patron to patron to try and make a better living for himself and his family. He passed away in Munich at the age of 65, and has left us some truly beautiful music that is still popular today, 100's of years later.

One of his most famous works, and my personal favorite the Brandenburg Concertos, #1 to #6.

The Adagio from Concerto #1

My Own Scans, I couldn't find any good ones in my travels.

JSBachBradenburg1-3.jpg

JSBachBradenburg1-3Back.jpg

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice piece OB, I think I heard that one played in the movie "Master & Commander", starring Russell Crowe.

Here are the other 3 Brandenburg Concertos, and these are my cover scans. If I was just discovering J.S. Bach for the first time the 6 Brandenburg Concertos are where I would start, very accessible and pleasant to listen to.

Allegro from #4.

JSBachBradenburg4-6.jpg

JSBachBrandeburg4-6Back.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
One man's boring is another man's interesting. What do you expect? Same thing could be said for more rock albums than I can count, besides it's just to help give the information about the work, seeing Classical is a more complex undertaking than most other genres.(And I am not positive, but am pretty sure both portraits used on these covers are done by Monet or another of the great painters.)

You are lucky I don't explain what an Allegro, Adagio and Prestissimo Vivace are just to chase you out of here.;)

runtfan

Reaction score
Yep, Bach is one of my top classical composers ( #1 or #2).

My faves are the Brandenburg Concertos, "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring", Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor ( the scary organ music that they use in the movies), "Sheep May Safely Graze"...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Did someone mention the Toccata 565?...:D One of the most recognizable organ pieces in history.

As RF mentioned it's been used extensively in horror movies over the years.

Here's Karl Richter's version.

This is the CD I own, and I truly wish those of you who only have i-pods etc., could listen to this on a really good stereo/surround system, it is Epic!

JSBachToccata565Front.jpg

JSBachToccata565Back.jpg

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
One of the interesting things about Bach is that although he's undeniably one of the giants of the classical pantheon, his music almost died out in the 19th century. My memory may be faulty on this, but I think it was Liszt who spearheaded the Bach revival that continues to this day.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online