Jimmy Webb - His Music.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Unsure if this is the correct area for Jimmy Webb mainly cause his music is so diverse from Classical Influences to some Rock, Pop, Lounge & even Soul.

Perhaps this is the best place to start since it's the Jimmy Webb Discography! :D

I began listening to Jimmy Webb songs I think through Glen Campbell, though I remember hearing Richard Harris singing "MacArthur Park" many years ago (without realising it was Jimmy Webb). Another performer I reckon who does Jimmy Webb songs very well is Johnny Rivers, I haven't heard Rivers version of "By The Time I Get Back To Phoenix" but I think it might have been done before Glenn Campbell version. Johnny Rivers does some very nice Webb songs on his Rewind Album, I particular like "Carpet Man" which has some soft-psychedelic sound about it! :D

Other stuff I've collected are the early Richard Harris CD which has all the Jimmy Webb compositions on it, here and there I got bits of the Fifth Dimension - "Up, Up & Away", Andy Williams did a version of that, I heard Matt Monro sing "Didn't We" which Richard Harris originally sang on the Tramp Shining album, and I've got a little bit of America from the early 80s doing the Titled song from "The Last Unicorn" Soundtrack which is quite good! :D

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
One of the 20th century great songsmiths.. These two remain firmly on my play list.

Love that song The Highwayman. Didn't know Jimmy Webb wrote it. Always thought it was The Highwaymen (Cash, Kristofferson, Jennings & Nelson)
Thanks for posting. I'll be looking into other Jimmy Webb songs

Gibraltar

Reaction score
I recently read Jimmy Webb’s book on songwriting, which must be absolutely the last word on the subject. It’s full of humour, interesting anecdotes and should be required reading for any budding songsmith. I also recently got CDs of the albums he wrote for Richard Harris which are excellent. I didn’t find his own albums so good in terms of his singing, and I think others perform his songs better.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online