Jimmy Page Career after Led Zepplin

JackInBox

Reaction score
Jimmy page with Led Zepplin, he was just one of the best.

Why did his career seem "very average" after Led Zepplin was gone. He, Jimmy Page, was a member of the Yardbirds.

In the top 5 of electric guitar players and musicians. What happened to his careeer ?

Was it he;
- > Rich with money, why work hard

- > He just clicked with his partner, who died (the drummer)

- > Drugs and alcohol

- > Jimmy Page peaked with Led Zepplin, and then talent faded !

eccentric man

Reaction score
it's all about chemistry

only guitar players went off about page as an individual musician. the vast majority of rock fans would refer to page & plant as the nucleus of led zep. even they recognize that it was about the full band chemistry, which would explain why they don't actually do anything besides play 35 year old tunes when they get together.

the same thing has been happening to a lot of bands lately too. look at all the bits of brokendown 90s bands being slapped together like they'll ever amount to their original forms. is audioslave ever going to amount to the same as soundgarden? will they ever have the intensity of rage against the machine? hell no. velvet revolver? pfft. just because it's better than the rest of the garbage on the radio doesn't mean it actually amounts to anything.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Well, Audioslave and Velvet Revolver don't have nearly as much to top as Jimmy Page does. And yes, I would agree that chemistry of talents is a commodity that cannot be duplicated. The examples are many: of course the Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Doors, CSN&Y (at their best, that is), and many others I could name.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I think Page could have delivered something mediocre and been seen in a better light. When we talk about Zeppelin I know alot of praise was heaped on Page, for getting the band organized, for production, incredible guitar playing, and on a number of levels.

I think that's why it's so surprising to so many that he basically didn't come up with much of anything coherent after LZ. I mean, I couldn't attribute it to him being burnt out as he has had plenty of time to come back with something tangible. Heck, Clapton had a well documented burn out phase and his solo work is untouchable compared to Page.

Then we could look back at LZ and maybe there could be a wonder that we were indeed giving him a bit too much credit for LZ's success. His lack of success seems to highlight this.

Seriously, after Zeppelin, who would have thought Plant would have had more success than Page, and by a pretty far margin?

Lennon and McCartneys solo success at least partly legitimizes their individual talent, even within the group context of what they did with the Beatles. What if say, Lennon was a horrible failure? Would the team of "Lennon-McCartney" be seen as the pairing of titans as it is often viewed throughout the years?

Last edited:

eccentric man

Reaction score
I would say that Velvet Revolver and Audioslave have had more success than Page after Zeppelin, which isn't and is saying alot.

yeah but they came about in the video age and still feature photogenic frontmen who also still don't mind working it for the camera (especially weiland)

maybe he's feeling kind of like kevin shields from my bloody valentine only in terms of a band as opposed to a record. sheilds' realizes he put something really special out with 'loveless' and has never released another MBV album because he doesn't feel he can top it. page might be feeling the same about led zep and his forays into a 'solo career' might have more to do with personal favours than a desire for success. kind of hard to say without knowing the man personally.

Zrocker

Reaction score
Coverdale/Page was quite good. He teamed up with Squire of Yes but that fell appart. I also liked the 2nd Firm recording quite a bit.

My understanding is he has had health problems plus depression losing his friend.

Don't know why the 2nd Firm recording didn't do better.

It would have been nice if Coverdale and Page would have done a second recording.

I think many fans talking smack about Coverdale are to blame for that not happening. The music was on target!!!

TuskCracker

Reaction score
Several years ago (2-4 years, I am not sure), Jimmy Page was "Knighted" in England.

I saw a picture of it. Jimmy Page was all dressed up in suite and tie !

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
When you consider what Page accomplished with the Yardbirds and Zeppelin together, it's really quite forgivable what he hasn't managed to accomplish since then. I do think that Robert Plant's solo work seems to speak well of him in comparison. The same is true of John Paul Jones' accomplishments as a behind-the-scenes musician and arranger since Zep.

Speaking of Jones, I've always had a strong suspicion that he deserves a much larger share of credit for the greatness of Zeppelin than he has ever been given.

runtfan

Reaction score
Speaking of Jones, I've always had a strong suspicion that he deserves a much larger share of credit for the greatness of Zeppelin than he has ever been given.

I would agree with this (of course I'm very biased on the subject - being a bass player and playing in a Zeppelin tribute band).
I wouldn't know how to go about making a case for it though. To me it's self-evident, but Page will always get the glory for anything Zeppelin did. Not a slam on Page either, but no guitarist, no matter how great they are, can exist in a vacuum. I think Page and Jones both knew exactly what they were doing when they got together. Finding Plant and Bonham put them over the top, but anything Page and Jones would have done would have turned out great.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online