Jimi's last gig today in 1970

E-Z

Reaction score
Fifty years ago to the day Jimi Hendrix performed his last major concert that took place today on Sunday September 6th 1970 on the Isle of Fehmarn West Germany where Jimi, Mitch Mitchell & Billy Cox headlined at the 'Love and Peace festival' performing a short 70 minutes set during a windy and rain swept Sunday morning amidst a crowd of rain drenched hippies many of whom were sitting underneath makeshift and see-through plastic coverings and umbrellas on the festival site. Jimi should have gone on stage on the Saturday evening but the weather conditions were to rough with high winds and heavy downpours of rain so Jimi's set was re-scheduled for the Sunday. After Jimi, Mitch & Billy came off stage the band immediately returned back to London where 12 days later Jimi Hendrix died on Friday September 18th 1970.

The band on stage at the Isle of Fehmarn- http://www.fehmarnfestival1970.com/daythree/femarn32.jpg

Jimi on stage- https://vintagenewsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/jimi-hendrix-last-performance-3.jpg

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
7048892459d22ca8fdc050ed6e980812.jpg
Nice tribute E-Z...i recall his passing very well-mentioned in School Assembly...on the Monday morning.
Never a week goes by in this house without the need for some essential Hendrix sustenance.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
Thanks Nai appreciate it.

The above photograph of Jimi was one of several taken by Monika Danneman (Jimi's German girlfriend in 1970 and who committed suicide in 1996) in the rear garden of the Samakand hotel in the Notting Hill area of west London at around 2:00pm on Thursday 17th September 1970 and were the last photographs taken of Jimi. Approximately 14 hours after the above photograph was taken Jimi was dead.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
The 'black strat' that Jimi is seen holding in the photograph above apparently became a favourite guitar with Jimi during 1970 and was used at the Isle of Wight festival (as well as a black Gibson flying V on a few numbers) and which became the property of Monika Danneman Jimi's then German girlfriend during 1970 where she subsequently displayed it at various Jimi Hendrix conventions during the 1980s. I attended a Hendrix convention at Retford in Nottinghamshire (of all places?) back in 1984 that also had in attendance both Noel Redding the original Experience bass player between 1966-1969 & Monika Danneman herself where she had brought along that black Stratocaster and displayed it (in a glass box) and apparently the guitar strings hadn't been changed since Jimi's death and were by 1984 somewhat rusty.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
E-Z..mornin'..question - i play left handed..but leave strings set for a righty..effectivley upside down..did Jimi do the same or did he alter the bridge etc..
Saw many bands at Retford Porterhouse back in the day..the scrumpy on tap was knockout!

E-Z

Reaction score
E-Z..mornin'..question - i play left handed..but leave strings set for a righty..effectivley upside down..did Jimi do the same or did he alter the bridge etc..
Saw many bands at Retford Porterhouse back in the day..the scrumpy on tap was knockout!
Hi Nai Jimi would usually restring a right handed Stratocaster to suit his left handed way of normally playing (Low E string on the top and the high E string on the bottom) BUT I have read that on several occasions usually when just jamming with other musicians he could pick up or was handed a right handed guitar and just play it 'up side down' as a left hand guitar without restringing it!!. The way Jimi usually played a right-handed Strat 'up side down' obviously has the headstock up side down which you may notice is a more comfortable way to be able to alter the tuning pegs rather than on top of the headstock especially on a Stratocaster. During the 1980s lots of new guitar designs had the headstock with the tuning pegs underneath rather than on top the way Jimi had it in the mid/late 1960s.

As for Retford and no disrespect is meant to the citizen's of that small town in Nottinghamshire but to my American cousin's that's possibly the most unlikely place in England to hold a Jimi Hendrix convention??.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Personal recollections of hearing about Jimi back in the 1960s...

I was only 10 years old in 1967 and living in England but I do remember hearing his name being mentioned on the radio and television during 1967 along with The Cream (Clapton, Bruce & Baker). The singles Hey Joe, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary & Burning of the Midnight Lamp were all played on BBC radio One during 1967 and I remember hearing them all. I remember the Electric Ladyland album also got some publicity when it was released in late 1968 in the UK and hearing All Along the Watchtower again on the radio. I also remember hearing about the Royal Albert Hall concert in February 1969 along with seeing The Experience playing on the Lulu show on the television in early 1969 as well. The next time I remember hearing of Jimi was at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 then three weeks later after the Isle of Wight Jimi's death being reported on the television news.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Amen to that E-Z...quite literally!
I was taught by The Sisters ( who have no) Mercy in the 60's and one day this ******' dried up Nun was frothing at the mouth that Lennon and The Beatles declared themselves bigger than God..i cheered and ended up with six of the best!

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
Jimi's very last public appearance playing electric guitar took place on the Wednesday night of September 16th 1970 in front of a small crowd of people at Ronnie Scott's Jazz club in Soho in central London where Jimi 'sat in' with Eric Burdon's L.A. all black soul/rock/funk group War who were in town on two numbers Tobacco Road & Mother Earth and was a rather low key end to a short but spectacular 4 years career at the top where Jimi had reinvented the rock guitar and brought it into the modern age. Jimi was adept at playing rock, soul, R&B, jazz, funk and he even appeared along with Buddy Miles (drummer) on a early 'hip hop' recording from 1969 with the Last Poets called Doriella Du Fontaine check it out it's very interesting.

The question that is always asked about Jimi Hendrix is what if he had lived for another year or five years or ten years what music would he have created??.

If Jimi had lived one more year and had died in September 1971 instead of 1970 he would have completed (to his liking) the double album (and even possibly a triple album?) to be called First Rays of the New Rising Sun and possibly undertook another north American tour and another European tour during 1971. Also Jimi would have completed many unfinished songs as well as creating new ones in his own Electric Lady studio in New York city and another possibility is Chas Chandler the ex Animals bass player and the man who had originally brought Jimi over from the US to London in September 1966 and became his manager between 1966-1968 may well have managed him again as it has been documented that according to Chas Jimi approached him with this proposal sometime during 1970 after Jimi's then manager Mike Jefferies who managed Jimi between 1969-1970 management contract was up for renegotiation at the end of 1970 and Jimi had let it be known that he didn't want to be managed by Mike Jefferies anymore (Mike Jefferies was to die in a inflight air crash in 1973) and Chas went on to manage Slade during the rest of the 1970s.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online