Jethro Tull - Stand Up 2CD/DVD (2010)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Well here it is, the long awaited and much heralded 2CD/DVD 2010 re-release of “Stand Up”, Jethro Tull’s second album and the one which topped the UK album charts in August 1969.

standup1.jpg

So what do you get for your money? CD one is the 2001 rerelease of the original album which has divided many over the merits of the remastering techniques used. It depends, I suppose, on what equipment you’re using to play the disc on, speaker frequencies, the acoustics of the room you’re listening in and also what type of headphones you use if you want some sort of privacy or just don’t want to annoy your neighbours. Well it sounds good to me.

The bonus cuts on disc one are Living In The Past (the stereo album version and the mono single mix), Driving Song, Sweet Dream and the full length 17, clocking in at just over 6 minutes. Added to these are Bouree, A New Day Yesterday, Nothing Is Easy and Fat Man - all from BBC radio sessions. Finally on the disc are two radio ads for the band which, if only for the hilarity of them, are a worthwhile inclusion. You have to wonder what substances they were on when the radio guys recorded them. Ok so we’ve had most of these bonus track before on Tull boxsets but it’s good to have them here “under one roof”.

standup2.jpg

CD two has the Carnegie Hall concert from 1970. Edited out are some of the intros etc., but it is still the monumental live recording it always was. The full concert, clocking in at one hour and forty two minutes is included on the audio only part of the DVD. In surround sound, Dolby digital etc this is the concert as it should be heard. Load the disc into the PC, turn the volume up to eleven and really annoy the neighbours. Finishing the DVD, is an interview with Ian Anderson conducted this year where he describes the making of “Stand Up”, Mick Abrahams’ reluctance to play the music and how Martin Barre joined the band amongst many other things. Ok so we’ve heard most of this before but it’s nice to hear it first hand and in vision, with Ian Anderson looking very relaxed seated on a black leather sofa and boy, can he talk!

The packaging is unique. It retains the pop-up figures which graced the original Island Records vinyl release, sleeve notes from Ian Anderson, details of the personal on each recording and some great pictures.

Perhaps for the diehard Tull fan only, but if you want to hear the album in all its glory, the original CD issue or the 2001 remaster stand alone disc are very good places to start.

And a final thought, a year later Jethro Tull would release the monumental “Benefit” on an unsuspecting public and finally establish the band as one of the greatest rock bands of all time. If you doubt this statement, their first album “This Was” was issued in 1968 and they’re still going strong. OK so I’m biased but I’m amongst friends here.

CD One
1.A New Day Yesterday [2001 Digital Remaster]
2.Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square [2001 Digital Remaster]
3.Bouree [2001 Digital Remaster]
4.Back To The Family [2001 Digital Remaster]
5.Look Into The Sun [2001 Digital Remaster]
6.Nothing Is Easy [2001 Digital Remaster]
7.Fat Man [2001 Digital Remaster]
8.We Used To Know [2001 Digital Remaster]
9.Reason For Waiting [2001 Digital Remaster]
10.For A Thousand Mothers [2001 Digital Remaster]
11.Living In The Past [2001 Digital Remaster]
12.Driving Song [2001 Digital Remaster]
13.Sweet Dream [2001 Digital Remaster]
14.17 [2010 Digital Remaster]
15.Living In The Past [Original Mono Single Version] [2001 Digital Remaster]
16.Bouree [Top Gear BBC Radio Session]
17.A New Day Yesterday [Top Gear BBC Radio Session]
18.Nothing Is Easy [Top Gear BBC Radio Session]
19.Fat Man [Top Gear BBC Radio Session]
20.Stand Up (US Radio Spot #1) [2010 Digital Remaster]
21.Stand Up (US Radio Spot #2) [2010 Digital Remaster]

CD 2: Live At Carnegie Hall
1.Nothing Is Easy
2.My God
3.With You There To Help Me/By Kind Permission Of
4.A Song For Jeffrey
5.To Cry You A Song
6.Sossity, You're A Woman/Reasons For Waiting/Sossity, You're A Woman
7.Dharma For One
8.We Used To Know
9.Guitar Solo
10.For A Thousand Mothers

DVD: Live At Carnegie Hall [DTS Surround Mix, No Video]
1.Introduction
2.Nothing Is Easy
3.My God
4.With You There To Help Me/By Kind Permission Of
5.A song For Jeffrey
6.To Cry You A Song
7.Sossity, You're A Woman/Reasons For Waiting/Sossity, You're A Woman
8.Dharma For One
9.We Used To Know
10.Guitar Solo
11.For A Thousand Mothers
+ Interview with Ian Anderson, 2010.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Jethro Tull: Stand Up 2CD/DVD rerelease 2010

^^Nicely done Jeffrey...:cheers:

I will have to put that one on my list for sure...even though I have 2 versions of the CD already.:D

Stoned

Sword of Damocles
Reaction score

I own this album only I have it on vinyl. :tongue:

But this is by far Tull's best album. Its so bluesy and different from the rest.

And woodcut cover art is the coolest thing I've seen.

My favorite song of the album is a tie between "A New Day Yesterday" and "Look Into the Sun"

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I am tempted myself with this one although I do have the remaster, the live album is tempting me more as well as the pop up sleeve, they are good at getting me to buy millions of copies of albums:bonk:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Nice one Jeffrey, I am very tempted with this "Stand Up" is such a great album IMO.

Khor1255

Reaction score
$700? I wonder how much the two disc set is? I definately want this.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's way too much for a CD, even a top quality MFSL release.:nw:

I have a copy of that one already, but would like to get a new vinyl release, I'd spend $40.00 for it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online

No members online now.