Jess Harlen (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Jess Harlen

Sal, I enjoyed both MT selections from Jess! I'm not head over heels about her necessarily but she reminds me of Joss Stone but more laid back. The biggest compliments I can give aside from a nice voice is #1. Nice to see you listening to any soul/R&B music at all and #2. It's rare to see an artist comfortable being Soul/R&B these days without leaning on Hip-Hop. For the most part I think the two genres, both of which I'm very fond of should be separate. Even then I just don't feel the soul in the genre anymore. This is the only case I look to the past! Where's the soul in Soul music today where you felt it because the artists felt it. Jess doesn't sound like she cares but I get it because she's going for a chill out vibe but I want a new Marvin, a new Otis, a new Sam Cooke, a new Aretha, a new Bill Withers or hell a new Carol King! I need R&b that makes me move or feel! Where is it? Help me Sal! :heheh: Sorry to Sal and Jess for my rant! :oyea:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Well I already listened to Otis and Tracy Chapman before I found Jess, so I have a foothold in soul but I'm no afficionado. Sooty, listen to The Cat Empire. Soul may be one of their lesser traveled experiments but they have a distinct vibe to all their music! Other than that, Bruno Mars plays a nice soul/pop fusion when solo. But I don't really know of any new soulful voices...YET! :D

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I recommended them to you in MT a while ago :heheh: They're an eclectic Australian band who have 4 albums, one recently released!

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

I recommended them to you in MT a while ago :heheh: They're an eclectic Australian band who have 4 albums, one recently released!

Ok sorry :heheh: Blonde Moment:bonk:

theres alot of bands exposed in there/I'll go back and check it out Sal/or youtube..

I'm going to bed,clearly I need to :D Night !

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online