Jeff Lynne to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
Congratulations, it's about time, but it should have been Electric Light Orchestra, now this does not bode well for an ELO induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they will also want a Jeff Lynne solo one under either Non-Performer or Musical Excellence!

Holland Dozier Holland, Jeff Lynne, Rick Springfield to Receive Stars on Hollywood Walk of*Fame - Music News - ABC News Radio

M_HollywoodWalkofFameLogo630_062113.jpg

Hollywood Chamber of Commerce

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce has revealed the list of celebrities who will be recognized with stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2014. Among the honorees are a number of luminaries from the music world, including the famed Motown songwriting and production team Holland Dozier Holland, Electric Light Orchestra frontman Jeff Lynne, pop-rock star and actor Rick Springfield and pop-funk artist Ray Parker Jr.

Lamont Dozier and brothers Brian and Eddie Holland were responsible for composing some of the most memorable pop songs of the 1960s. Among the Motown artists they wrote classic hits for are The Supremes, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye and Martha and the Vandellas.

Lynne was a member of The Move before becoming the guiding creative force behind ELO. In addition, he's an acclaimed producer who's worked on albums by Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Joe Cocker and the supergroup Traveling Wilburys, of which he also was a member.

Springfield is best known for his chart-topping 1981 tune "Jessie's Girl" and also had more than a dozen other top 40 hits, including "Don't Talk to Strangers" and "Love Somebody."

Ray Parker Jr. hit #1 in 1984 with "Ghostbusters," and he also released many other successful singles as a solo artist and with the group Raydio.

Among the other music artists who also will receive stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame next year are Katy Perry, late rapper Tupac Shakur and Mexican rock band Mana. Right now, there's no information as to where the new stars will be located, or when they will be awarded.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Friday, June 21, 2013 at 3:01PM Music News Group Permalink

in Classic Hits, Oldies

Read On ABC News Radio: Holland Dozier Holland, Jeff Lynne, Rick Springfield to Receive Stars on Hollywood Walk of*Fame - Music News - ABC News Radio

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Way too late, ELO should be in the HOF and the Hollywood WOF.:wtf:

Answer me this who is more famous ELO as a band or Jeff Lynne as a solo artist? He should be honoured as ELO for his music and if he wants personal recognition then as a producer which he is very good at.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Rick Springfield and Ray Parker Jr? They seem odd choices.

Originally, The Move were famous for Roy Wood. I think ELO were Wood's creation too, but he dropped out early. Sadly, Roy Wood's various subsequent projects never really worked out, while Jeff Lynne went from strength to strength. Undoubtedly, both The Move and ELO benefitted from Lynne's presence, but they had other talented musicians too (like Carl Wayne, Bev Bevan, Kelly Groucutt). I am guessing neither The Move nor Roy Wood are in the hall of fame? ELO were pioneers in combining rock 'n' roll with classical influences as a commercial format, but I always think Lynne's production is a bit murky. In fairness, ELO should be inducted as a band.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The only Ray Paker Jr. song I even remember is Ghostbusters, and he got sued for plagiarism by someone and lost the court case.:hm:

Lynne has produced quite a few artists outside of ELO, I can't remember all of them right now but he is sought after for his touch behind the console.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Jeff Lynne worked on the John Lennon tapes for The Beatles that showed up after Lennon's death. The remaining Beatles felt they needed an outsider to complete the material for release, or they might end up disagreeing. John Lennon was also known to have liked ELO, whereas he could be a fussy devil with what he thought were plagiarists (Todd Rundgren, The Hollies). George Harrison, Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney all worked with him on solo projects and there was The Traveling Wilburys. This respect from The Beatles added to Lynne's kudos.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You know more about Lynne than I do Martin.:grinthumb

He did a fantastic job at the HOF tribute to George Harrison a few years ago on the vocals to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
^ I recently watched some TV documentaries about him! I always liked the end of the Move/ beginning of ELO era.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Eldorado, Face the Music and New World Record are the albums I play. I lost track of them after Discovery, which sounded okay last time I played it. But when I bought it new I was disappointed with the sound of the record.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online