1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton in Toronto!

Discussion in 'Live Concert Reviews.' started by Foxhound, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound retired

I attended the Eric Clapton/Jeff Beck concert on February 21st at the Air Canada Centre (a venue built primarily for hockey games I might add).

This review appeared in the "Toronto Star" the next day:

Now I'm a huge Jeff Beck fan but since I also really like Eric Clapton I came in with an open mind willing to give both fellows a fair listen. But I have to say that for the most part I agree with the writer of the above article - and the big Eric Clapton fan with whom I attended the concert also agrees. I'll fill in the details of my concert experience later tonight.

:guitar:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. LG

LG Fade To Black

That is surprising to me Fox...I would think EC would have felt obligated to at least put out seeing JB was involved...don't know what to say.:dunno:

Not a big Clapton fan myself, I only have Slowhand, he was much better in Cream and Derek & the Dominoes.

3. Groovy Man

Groovy Man I'm Not Like Everybody Else

I seen Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck last Friday Night at Madison Square Garden in New York City. And it was great. I have no idea what this writer is talking about. Yes, Clapton opened his set with acoustic tunes after Jeff Beck's amazing set. It did seem mellow, because it was acoustic, but it was good. Then Clapton plugged in and rocked. Then both of them jamed together. It was a fantastic show. And it sounds like the same set list, they played at MSG.

All I know is I had a great time. I went with a small group of friends, and everyone seemed happy after the show.

And if I had a dime for every bad review of a concert I attended since I was a teen, I'd be a millionaire by now. :heheh:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

everyone's entitled to a bad night here and there, I think people expect too much from the legends, but I'm jealous you saw clapton, Fox... I don't care much for Jeff Beck, but I would expect a more explosive show than how it was described by that article...:think:

5. Groovy Man

Read what I just posted. We posted at the same exact time. :heheh:

6. LG

LG Fade To Black

Fox sounded like he was in agreement with the critic GM...I am not a big fan so I am ambivalent.:D

7. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

I hate it when that happens:heheh:

different night, different venue though, and as much as I like Clapton, some of his acoustic playing will put me to sleep, so I can see where they might be coming from there, I feel he can be a very boring/predictable player at times but other times he'll do something no ones heard before....
    and even the small number of shows I've been to have all had someone saying they sucked, and there always will be someone to say it sucked, no matter how good, I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing:D

8. Groovy Man

Maybe it's just around the New York area where I live, but I have hardly ever been to a concert, where the next day, the newspaper said it was a GREAT show. :heheh:

9. LG

LG Fade To Black

I usually am in agreement GM, sometimes when I read the review the next day I wonder what concert/movie the critic was watching. They write to be contrary for it's own sake as much as from personal conviction.

10. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

its not just New York, Groovy:heheh:
    I'm almost always in agreement:grinthumb