Jazz-Rock/Jazz fusion recommendations

E-Z

Reaction score
I'm sure they were mentioned but the first 2 Mahavishnu Orchestra lps are some of the heaviest jazz fusion around......
View attachment 216494
View attachment 216495

Also recommend anything by Return To Forever, WEather Report, and Caravanserai , Welcome, and Borboletta by Santana.....
It is kinda ok 'in parts' and John McLaughing was certainly capable of 'fretboard fireworks' when he wanted to 'burn the guitar neck' but both albums are 'jazz albums' from 1971 & 1972 although with a rock feel to them in parts. One of the albums has a slow number on it with a prominent 'fiddle' playing through it which turned me off the album completely.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
It is kinda ok 'in parts' and John McLaughing was certainly capable of 'fretboard fireworks' when he wanted to 'burn the guitar neck' but both albums are 'jazz albums' from 1971 & 1972 although with a rock feel to them in parts. One of the albums has a slow number on it with a prominent 'fiddle' playing through it which turned me off the album completely.
Interesting how ears and tastes vary....imho they are 2 of the best ever made in that area-jazzrock/fusion-...indeed they both have over a 4 star rating on Prog Rock Archives.
Just curious .....name one or two you think are better in the heavy jazz rock fusion area....and I'll see if I own them and give an opinion. :grinthumb

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Interesting how ears and tastes vary....imho they are 2 of the best ever made in that area-jazzrock/fusion-...indeed they both have over a 4 star rating on Prog Rock Archives.
Just curious .....name one or two you think are better in the heavy jazz rock fusion area....and I'll see if I own them and give an opinion. :grinthumb
Hard to say with regards to any jazz/rock albums to be honest. Being a strictly 1970s mainstream rock fan (British & North American bands) and late 1960s & 1970s blues/rock fan I rarely tend to venture into other fields of music or rock music. Granted with regards to John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra they developed a following on the collage circuit in the states during the early 1970s and sold some albums but I don't really know much else about them.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online