Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Experience Announce New Tour

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Sorry but what a bloody awful idea. I won't be wanting a ticket even if I got in for nothing. What is this, some kind of tribute band? Seems like a nice way to cash in on the famous Led Zeppelin name, and the legacy that his great father left, but it's shamelessly exploitative of the fans, it would serve them right if every show on the tour bombs. Does he play original material, or just rehashed old Zep songs? I'm slightly surprised that Plant, Page and JPJ have given this thing the green light (I assume they would have been consulted since he's using their name) To me it cheapens their whole awesome reputation, unless this is openly and admitedly a 'tribute act' on a par with The Australian Pink Floyd (who are about the best tribute band I ever heard). And I don't see how they can sound remotely like Zep, unless he just plays drums whilst the rest of the band mime to a backing tape of old Zeppelin songs. Dude, don't try to be something that you're plainly not, I don't care who your father was. LONG LIVE PLANT, PAGE, PAUL JONES, and BONHAM............(senior!!!)

joe

Reaction score
:clap:I agree with TheSound. Couldn't of said it better myself.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Maybe he is disappointed that Plant put the kibosh on a proper Led Zeppelin reunion tour, so he is taking his tribute band on tour instead.

Plant has made it abundantly clear he wants no part of any reunion, he doesn't seem to enjoy playing the old songs anymore and has moved on. Plus I think the smashing success of his duet album with Alison Krause a few years ago confirmed in his own mind he has arrived in his own place musically beyond any doubt.

Sorry to wander but it all ties together whenever anything to do with Zeppelin is brought up.

Jason is a good drummer in his own right, if I were in his shoes I would make my own legacy and maybe, just maybe when the chance came to record with Page and JPJ then go for it.

joe

Reaction score
With disrespect LG, I have to disagree with on you Jason being good drummer. I'd put him in the average category. I can't think that this project is out of spite.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That's fine Joe, I think he is good myself. I've said it before and say it again, whatever any musician does to make a living these days is fine by me, and if Jason wants to use the cachet of his Dad's name to tour and play the old Zeppelin catalog who am I to judge. There are 1000's of tribute bands touring all over the world at any given time, in this case I think having Jason actually gives more credibility than just an average cover band would get.

Doesn't matter to me Joe, I wouldn't go see them even if they did tour up here.:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
I guy has to make a livin' LG. I would being staying at home as well.:heheh:

runtfan

Reaction score
I think you guys all have it wrong. I saw this show a few months ago and it was great. There's nothing remotely cheesy about it. The band does a great job playing the Zeppelin tunes. Jason, and everybody else in the band, looks like they're having a blast. There's alot of home movies of Jason and his mom & dad and Jason does a dual drum solo on Moby Dick with a video/audio recording of John.
They played in a music hall here in Dallas ( capacity - maybe 2500) and it was nearly sold out. Everybody I know who was there loved it. Yes, it's a tribute band and is billed as such. They do a bangup job with the music. They don't dress up or try and look or act like Led Zeppelin. They definitely delivered.

( disclaimer - I play bass for two tribute bands - Zeppelin and Heart. Obviously I'm sympathetic to the whole tribute band idea. I don't judge tribute bands any more favorably than a cover band or an original band...if anything, less so)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Sorry but what a bloody awful idea. I won't be wanting a ticket even if I got in for nothing. What is this, some kind of tribute band? Seems like a nice way to cash in on the famous Led Zeppelin name, and the legacy that his great father left, but it's shamelessly exploitative of the fans, it would serve them right if every show on the tour bombs. Does he play original material, or just rehashed old Zep songs? I'm slightly surprised that Plant, Page and JPJ have given this thing the green light (I assume they would have been consulted since he's using their name) To me it cheapens their whole awesome reputation, unless this is openly and admitedly a 'tribute act' on a par with The Australian Pink Floyd (who are about the best tribute band I ever heard). And I don't see how they can sound remotely like Zep, unless he just plays drums whilst the rest of the band mime to a backing tape of old Zeppelin songs. Dude, don't try to be something that you're plainly not, I don't care who your father was. LONG LIVE PLANT, PAGE, PAUL JONES, and BONHAM............(senior!!!)

Aww, come on. I hardly think this tour will have any effect on Zep's reputation. There are TONS of Zeppelin tribute bands out there. And if Jimmy doesn't have any concerns about it, then they must not be that bad, because Jimmy is a known control freak over Zep's music, and Plant to an extent. These people have a long history together, and Jason is a known beast on the drums just like his daddy! If anything I think it's flattering to the original boys to have someone want to imitate them, and the fans never get tired of their songs. Classic stuff!

I have no issues with it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think you guys all have it wrong. I saw this show a few months ago and it was great. There's nothing remotely cheesy about it. The band does a great job playing the Zeppelin tunes. Jason, and everybody else in the band, looks like they're having a blast. There's alot of home movies of Jason and his mom & dad and Jason does a dual drum solo on Moby Dick with a video/audio recording of John.
They played in a music hall here in Dallas ( capacity - maybe 2500) and it was nearly sold out. Everybody I know who was there loved it. Yes, it's a tribute band and is billed as such. They do a bangup job with the music. They don't dress up or try and look or act like Led Zeppelin. They definitely delivered.

( disclaimer - I play bass for two tribute bands - Zeppelin and Heart. Obviously I'm sympathetic to the whole tribute band idea. I don't judge tribute bands any more favorably than a cover band or an original band...if anything, less so)

I meant no offense to any cover band RF, I can't do live shows these days my hearing can't take the SPL's anymore, that's why I said I wouldn't catch Jason's band even if they did meander this far north by chance.;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online