James Dewar

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

In memory of James Dewar!

October 12, 1942 / May 16, 2002

James Dewar, best known as bassist and vocalist for Robin Trower and Stone The Crows, passed away on May 16, 2002. Dewar had been ill since a medical mishap in 1987. He was born on October 12, 1942.

In many people's opinion, James Dewar was one of the best vocalists in rock and roll, and while there are many who are not familiar with his work, legions of fans maintain that Dewar's rich, powerful voice was among the best. His talents as a bass player were also exceptional. Needless to say, he was vastly underrated, but his legacy of music proves without a doubt that he was one of the greats.

Source: Robin Trower Home Page: James Dewar

Discography:

With Stone the Crows: (as bassist)

Stone the Crows (1970)
Ode to John Law (1970)

With Robin Trower Band: (lead singer and bassist)

1973 Twice Removed from Yesterday
1974 Bridge of Sighs
1975 For Earth Below
1976 Robin Trower Live
1976 Long Misty Days
1977 In City Dreams
1978 Caravan to Midnight
1979 Victims of the Fury
1983 Back It Up

Solo:

1998 Stumbledown Romancer

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Bridge of Sighs was such a great album and title track. Dewers vocals combined with Trower's outstanding bluesy guitar playing made the tune so awesome.

RIP James.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of James Dewar and think that his awesome singing voice and his soulfully hard rock bass playing were incredible on those great early Robin Trower releases. A big part of what makes those albums so special to me.

He deserves a lot more credit then he was ever given.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
There ain't much to be said that DKW didn't already say. I think James has one of the best voices around. Robin and James complemented eachother well.

hawk11

Reaction score
I can't really add much more to what Wolf has stated as well.

Extremely overlooked singer and bass player who desrves a lot more recognition. Then again Robin Trower is so underrated I guess it's only natural that James Dewar be underrated as well.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Robin Trower's GREAT band should've been called Dewar and Trower. Twice Removed, Bridge of Sighs, For Earth Below and Live contain some amazing guitar work, but they also include strong songs, co-written by Jim, and of course his singing. They were genuine team efforts, but I suppose the band was built on Trower's reputation. Trower's later albums, even with the astonishing Davy Pattison (from Gamma), are not as good. I haven't heard Jim's solo album, but I understand it is also disappointing.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Nice to see James Dewar getting some long overdue recognition as one of the best singers in rock. It's sad that he's been gone almost 10 years now.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
This is great to see a Dewar thread.. Big BIG fan of his Bass playing and Vocals.. I have to say that I like him way more than Jack Bruce.. Bruce is OK but Dewar was a GOD to me.. I play alot of his songs from the Trower LP's I have.. He's not so easy to follow or play just like him.. Some tricky riffs..
When I first joined a rock forum I was praising Dewar and I had no idea that he had passed away.. That came as a big shock to me and really left a hole in my whole Trower enjoyment thing.. But I'm glad to see Trower still touring and putting out great music.. It's just not the same to me without Dewar..

Classic Dewar Vocals..:grinthumb

VonBon

Reaction score
The man was king. His voice was superb. A very underestimated musician/singer/songwriter. A pure legend and so sadly missed.....

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online