Jacques Offenbach

opera races

Reaction score
Orpheus In The Underworld - Overture

This was one of my favorites when I played cello in the orchestra in high school. The composition was what was referred to as a real "barn burner". My main reason for liking it was that it has some nice cello parts to play. To this day I still tend to hear it from the perspective of being in the cello section. The music we played off of I remember was printed in Germany so when you glanced at the title it looked like read "Orpheus In His Underwear" so that was what we called it! What was really priceless about this piece is that flash of recognition from the audience when you get to the last movement ;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Don't have a lot of Offenbach in the library OR...but that first cello piece is great. Have to put that on my never ending list.:mn:

Nice to see another fan of classical in here too.:D

opera races

Reaction score
I did a little bit of reading up on Offenbach and discovered that he was a cello virtuoso - which I didn't know before! I guess that's why he wrote nice cello parts in his music :)

Initially I sort of had classical force fed to me though there are a few pieces I've liked since I was very, very young. In the junior high and high school orchestras naturally we played mostly classical (using the term broadly; I learned about the subdivisions such as baroque, romantic, classical, etc. in a college level music appreciation class). The high school conductor was very much into baroque and that was almost all we played with a few exceptions (Somehow we talked him into letting us play the main title from the first Star Wars movie! ... and we did some bit from Gone With The Wind a Beethoven symphony ... I forget which one but not the Fifth, we played A Fifth of Beethoven in junior high ... and oh yeah the Offenbach ...).

I still don't know much about the individual composers themselves just recognize music and have a feel for what I like. The weird thing is after my high school experience I tend to gravitate toward and connect with a lot of baroque music!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I love my classical music, but am a bigger fan of the post baroque composer's generally speaking. My Mom is the biggest reason I got into classical, she played so much variety when we were youngsters it was an education and very enjoyable.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online