Jackie DeShannon (Official Thread)

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
JACKIE DESHANNON:

Jackie DeShannon Official Website

JACKIE DESHANNON..a SINGER.SONGWRITER MUSICIAN that was a major force in pop/folk/country music throughout the 60's and 70's pop scene ..

working with everyone from Elvis, Burt Bacharach, Ry Cooder, Ray Charles, Everly Brothers, and even Mr Jimmy Page (dated him too!)

Upon research of her I discovered just how amazing her career really was..check out this thread..:cheers2

Albums:

Jackie DeShannon (1963)
Breakin' It Up on the Beatles Tour (1964)
Don't Turn Your Back on Me (1964)
Surf Party (1964) (soundtrack)
This Is Jackie DeShannon (1965)
Jackie: In the Wind (1965)
You Won't Forget Me (1965) (compilation)
C'Mon Let's Live a Little (1966) (soundtrack)
Are You Ready for This? (1967)
New Image (1967)
For You (1967)
Me About You (1968)
What the World Needs Now Is Love (1968)
Lonely Girl (1968) (compilation)
Great Performances (1968) (compilation)
Laurel Canyon (1969)
Put a Little Love in Your Heart (1969)
To Be Free (1970)
Songs (1971)
Jackie (1972)
Your Baby Is a Lady (1974)
New Arrangement (1975) [2]
The Very Best of Jackie DeShannon (1975) (compilation)
You're the Only Dancer (1977)
Quick Touches (1978)
Together (1980) (soundtrack)
Pop Princess (1981) (compilation)
Jackie DeShannon (1985) (compilation)
What the World Needs Now Is ...: The Definitive Collection (1987) (compilation)
Good as Gold! (1990) (compilation)
The Best of Jackie DeShannon (1991) (compilation)
Trouble With Jackie Dee (1991)
The Early Years (1998) (compilation)
Come and Get Me: Best of 1958-1980 (2000) (compilation)
You Know Me (2000)
High Coinage: The Songwriters Collection 1960-1984 (2007) (compilation)
You Won't Forget Me: The Complete Liberty Singles (Volume One) (2009) (new UK compilation)
When You Walk In The Room (2011) (Greatest songs newly recorded)

Attachments

• jackie deshannon.jpg
    jackie deshannon.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 32
  • jackie_deshannon-youre_the_only_dancer.jpg
    jackie_deshannon-youre_the_only_dancer.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Jackie+DeShannon.jpg
    Jackie+DeShannon.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS :Jackie De Shannon

Nice thread as well as unique!!! I like some Jackie!! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Here's a little Jackie DeShannon and Ry Cooder

Frankie And Albert

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

EARLY CAREER : {PINCHED OFF WIKI}

DeShannon was born the daughter of musically inclined farming parents, Sandra Jean and James Erwin Myers, and was singing country tunes on a local radio show at the age of six. By the age of 11, DeShannon was hosting her own radio program. When life on the farm became too difficult, the family moved to Aurora, Illinois, her mother's home town, and her father resumed his other career as a barber. After a year, they moved up the Fox River to Batavia, Illinois, where Sharon attended high school.

She began to record under various names such as Sherry Lee, Jackie Dee, and Jackie Shannon, but had little success. However, her interpretations of country songs "Buddy" and "Trouble" gained the attention of Rock and Roll star Eddie Cochran, who arranged for her to travel to California to meet his girlfriend, singer-songwriter Sharon Sheeley, who formed a writing partnership with DeShannon in 1960. The partnership produced hits such as "Dum Dum" for Brenda Lee and "I Love Anastasia" for The Fleetwoods. The latter was named for one of DeShannon's good friends in high school.

In 1960, DeShannon signed with Liberty Records, adopting the name Jackie DeShannon, believed to be the name of an Irish ancestor, after executives at Liberty thought the name Sharon Myers would not help sell records. In a Fresh Air interview (June 14, 2010),[2] DeShannon said that she chose "Jackie" as a cross-gender name. Since she had a low singing voice, she could be heard as either male or female. If thought of as male, she was more likely to sell to female record-buyers, who dominated the market. When she found that "Jackie Dee" was too similar to Brenda Lee, Sandra Dee, et al., she changed it to Jackie Dee Shannon, which people heard as DeShannon. The name stuck.

Armed with her new name, she made the WLS Chicago radio survey with the single "Lonely Girl" in late 1960. A string of mostly flop singles followed, although "The Prince" bubbled under at No. 108 in the United States in early 1962, and "Faded Love" became her first U.S. Billboard Top 100 entry, squeaking in at #97 in February 1963.[3]

She fared better with the Sonny Bono-Jack Nitschke song "Needles and Pins" and the self-penned "When You Walk in the Room" later in 1963. Both reached the lower rungs of the U.S. pop charts, but were Top 40 hits in Canada, where "Needles and Pins" made it all the way to No. 1. "Needles and Pins" and "When You Walk in the Room" later became U.S. and UK hits for The Searchers.

DeShannon recorded many other singles that encompassed teen pop, country ballads, rockabilly, gospel, and Ray Charles-style soul that didn't fare as well on the charts. During these years it was her songwriting and public profile rather than her recording career that kept her contracted to Liberty. DeShannon dated Elvis Presley and formed friendships with The Everly Brothers and Ricky Nelson. She also co-starred and sang with Bobby Vinton in the teen surf movie Surf Party.

DeShannon's biggest break came in February 1964 when she supported The Beatles on their first U.S. tour, and formed a touring band with guitarist Ry Cooder. DeShannon also wrote "Don't Doubt Yourself Babe" for the debut album of The Byrds. Her music at this stage was heavily influenced by the American West Coast sounds and folk music. Staying briefly in England in 1965, DeShannon formed a songwriting partnership with Jimmy Page, which resulted in the hit singles "Dream Boy" and "Don't Turn Your Back on Me". Page and DeShannon also wrote material for singer Marianne Faithfull, including her Top Ten UK and U.S. hit "Come and Stay With Me". DeShannon also appeared on the television show Ready Steady Go!

HIT LOVE SONGS:

Moving to New York, DeShannon co-wrote with Randy Newman, producing such songs as "She Don't Understand Him" and "Did He Call Today Mama?", as well as writing "You Have No Choice" for Delaney Bramlett. In March 1965, DeShannon recorded Burt Bacharach and Hal David's "What the World Needs Now Is Love", which led to club tours and regular appearances on television and went to No. 7 on the U.S. charts and No. 1 in Canada. (DeShannon's recording of the song was subsequently used in the 1969 film Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.) She appeared in the 1967 film C'mon Let's Live a Little, with Bobby Vee, as a folk singer.

DeShannon continued writing and recording, but it was not until 1969 that she scored her next smash single and album, both entitled "Put a Little Love in Your Heart". The self-penned single sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc.[4] The single "Love Will Find A Way" from the same album was also a moderate hit. Switching to Atlantic Records in 1970 and moving to Los Angeles, DeShannon recorded the critically acclaimed albums Jackie and Your Baby Is A Lady, but they failed to produce the same commercial success as previous releases. In 1973, she was invited by Van Morrison to sing on his Hard Nose the Highway album.

"Put A Little Love In Your Heart" was performed as the closing number at the Music for UNICEF Concert, broadcast worldwide from the United Nations General Assembly in 1979.

LATER CAREER:

While DeShannon has not produced any further Top Ten singles of her own, her songs have been covered by other artists who have converted them into hits. In 1974 she co-wrote "Queen Of The Rodeo" and "Bette Davis Eyes" with Donna Weiss for her album New Arrangement [1]. "Bette Davis Eyes" went on to become a worldwide No. 1 single for Kim Carnes in 1981, earned Weiss and DeShannon the 1982 Grammy Award for Song of the Year.

De Shannon also co-wrote "Break-A-Way", recorded by Irma Thomas in 1964 and by Tracey Ullman in 1983. "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" reached Billboard No. 9 in 1989 as a duet by Annie Lennox & Al Green and was also covered by Dolly Parton in 1993. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Stevie Nicks had a Top 40 U.S. hit in 1986 with a cover of "Needles And Pins", which DeShannon originally recorded but did not write. A version of "When You Walk in the Room" by Pam Tillis in 1994 topped the country charts. Another recent cover of "When You Walk In The Room" was by ex-ABBA vocalist Agnetha Fältskog, both in her comeback album My Colouring Book and as a UK and European hit single. Country rock artist Chris Hillman, one of the original members of The Byrds, also did a cover of "When You Walk in the Room" on his solo 1998 album "Like a Hurricane".

my fav version of NEEDLES AND PINS :

Jackie was portrayed by singer Liz Phair in an episode of the NBC period drama American Dreams.

On June 17, 2010, Jackie was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

PERSONAL LIFE :

She has a brother, Randy James Myers, with whom she has sometimes written songs. In the mid 1960s, she dated Jimmy Page and Love guitarist Bryan MacLean. It is likely that Jimmy Page wrote the song "Tangerine" (which appeared on the third Led Zeppelin album) after the breakup of his relationship with DeShannon in early 1965.[citation needed] Her first husband was Liberty Records executive Irving "Bud" Dain, whom she married on January 29, 1966 (annulled in 1967).[5] DeShannon has been married to singer/songwriter and film composer Randy Edelman since 1977. They have one son, Noah, born in 1978.[5]

about Jackie ????

Attachments

• Jackie+DeShannon+jackie.jpg
    Jackie+DeShannon+jackie.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 32
  • JackieDeShannon.jpg
    JackieDeShannon.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Yes Metal, I'm really amazed about her career..I DIDN'T even know about her touring with The Beatles !:omg::omg:

AMAZING PRETTY lady !

Last edited by a moderator:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I don't think I remember her touring with the fabs either...:heheh:

Interesting stuff though. She would be a fun guest to bring out to a Beatlefest and tell some old road stories! :grinthumb

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

A big Pop song from the 80's written by

JACKIE DESHANNON

Kim Carnes recorded ' Bette Davis Eyes'

A big hit for Marianne Faithfull

written by Jackie De Shannon and her Boyfriend, Jimmy Page !:cheers2

Last edited:

Elvis

Tangled Up In Blue
Reaction score

I always liked Jackie's version of Needles and Pins best.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score

Jackie does the news on the "Breakfast With The Beatles" radio show on KLOS, an FM station here in L.A.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online