J. Geils Band (Official Thread)

Rocker440

Reaction score
Re: the J. Geils Band

Did anyone besides me have the original Bloodshot LP pressed on red vinyl? That was seriously cool back in that day.

Yes, and I still do have the red vinyl edition of Bloodshot! :grinthumb It is my personal favorite J. Geils album. I have wondered, somewhat, if other folks still have either the red vinyl of that album, as well as other cool coloured editions of vinyls, too. :cheers2

Travelin' Man

Reaction score

Being a J. Geils fan is kind of like knowing a great secret at times. Geils was one of the bands that I mentioned in my intro thread just last night. I grew up here in the Detroit area and J. Geils has been a long time favorite around here. They used to get a tremendous amount of air play on the radio. Hell most of their live albums were recorded in Detroit because the band loved how the audiences treated them here.

What I mean about Geils being being a "secret" is that when I was 16 my family moved from Michigan to a small town just outside of Champaign, Illinois. The people in that area knew next to nothing about who the J. Geils Band was until Freeze Frame came out. Some of them were somewhat familiar with Love Stinks, but beyond that....nothing.

I, on the other hand, knew the secret and made it my mission to show them what they'd been missing. I'd grown up playing air harmonica (between air guitar solos) along with Magic Dick and reciting word for word Peter Wolf's intro to Musta Got Lost. I made believers out of many of them. Disciples to the word of Peter....

"Love comes once and when it comes to got to grab it fast cuz sometimes the love ya grab aint gonna last and I believe I musta...you know I think I musta...you know, baby, I think I musta...I musta got loooost!!!

They just don't do it like that anymore. But I'm happy as hell that I was around when they did.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Where outside Champaign were you, TM? I was born and raised in Peoria and lived and worked in Champaign for about 5 years before moving to Indy. Champaign's gotten a mention or two in threads of mine about REO Speedwagon and Dan Fogelberg.

Travelin' Man

Reaction score

Where outside Champaign were you, TM? I was born and raised in Peoria and lived and worked in Champaign for about 5 years before moving to Indy. Champaign's gotten a mention or two in threads of mine about REO Speedwagon and Dan Fogelberg.

That's awesome, CiI! I first lived in a small town named Mahomet (I used to call it Motown - you just can't pull some roots). Mahomet is about 10 miles NW of Champaign.

You can believe that I heard plenty about R.E.O. while living in Mahomet (oddly, Fogelberg didn't get as much local praise, though he did get plenty of air play), including a claim that their bassist, Bruce Hall, had lived there for a short time while growing up. And since I had/have no means of verifying this ( I can still see her [Stacy] pointing at the house behind her's), I've come to attribute the dubious claim to big city wishes from a small town girl.
I was lucky enough to see R.E.O. perform in the U of I Assembly Hall in 1982 (I love seeing bands in their hometowns).

Seeing as I've kept this thread off topic long enough, I'll put your R.E.O./ Dan Fogelberg threads on my list (it grows longer with every day that I spend here) of things to do.

Vintage

Vintage Rocker
Reaction score

Anyone check out the new Peter Wolf album? It rocks...

rtbuck

Reaction score

Anyone check out the new Peter Wolf album? It rocks...

Good album! I picked it up last week & the album has a very cool groove to it especially the groove on "Watch her Move". It's got a very acoustic Stones feel to it with even a hint of Lou Reed mixed with the rock & soul of Wolf.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Is Peter still part of Geils Bucky, or have they gone their separate ways now? I have lost track.

rtbuck

Reaction score

Is Peter still part of Geils Bucky, or have they gone their separate ways now? I have lost track.

They've been parted since the mid 80's but they do get together occasionally for reunion shows from what I've read over the last few years.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Okay thanks, I wasn't sure but it has been a Long Long time since Geils put anything new out.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Peter Wolf is back the J. Geils Band for now...and they're playing Fenway Park this summer, August 14 with Aerosmith!!!

It's going to be a wild show. I'm looking into getting tickets. We're talking big bucks here, so I'm not sure.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online