Is Rock Dying A Slow Death?

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Sorry about this guys, and I know this one has been knocked about on here a few times before. But here it is. Tonight I was watching a video of a band called Stone The Crows from 1971. That band never progressed in a big way, although the vocalist, Maggie Bell, did. As I was watching it the thought occurred to me how spoiled we were back then. There were so many bands emerging playing blues/rock influenced music. Some made it big time, many others didn't. But the scene was very vibrant. Where is the vibrancy now? I'm not sure how it has come to this, though I think technology has played a big part. Some American bands are still keeping Rock alive but Rock is all but dead and buried in The UK (unless you consult the 50/60 year olds).

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think rock is dying at all or even close to it. I think the problem is too many people expect bands to be as good as those classic era bands. Rock has changed/evolved past that whether people like it or not.

Dimples

Reaction score
I don't think it's dying! My kids grew up listening to all kinds of music. As adults they loved my CD's so much, I kept losing mine. Of course no one knows what happened to them. Lol

Aero

Reaction score
The quality of rock has definitely deteriorated since the 70s/80s.

IMO, this is due to a lack of good musicians amongst today's generation along with record companies wanting to put out an inferior product on purpose for a number of different reasons.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Well, I think looking at it objectively there is less rock in the mainstream today than there used to be. The grammys struggle to find two "rock" albums to rub together and they end up giving awards to The Foo Fighters -- who are obviously an alternative band playing by the numbers post-grunge and should be entered into the alternative category instead, but they're about as close to "traditional" rock as the mainstream has these days.

That's precisely the point though -- rock hasn't died, it's just evolved. That "Alternative" category is stronger than ever, with tons of exciting things happening over there and all kinds of new rock music. You're not going to find some retro-rock Black Crowes band trying to live up to Led Zep and Pink Floyd these days, but rock music is still alive and well in new ways, just like Led Zep and Pink Floyd weren't Elvis and Chuck Berry, but they were still good, and they were still rock.

Me, personally, do I like modern rock? Nope. Not my thing. But there's a world of difference between having a personal preference against modern music and thinking that music has declined. When you find yourself doubting this -- just think of Don Mclean. American Pie is a song all about how Dylan, The Stones, and The Beatles are terrible and evil. Different musical styles naturally give people different impressions. For example I don't like the stylistic trends of the 80s. A lot of people here do. Doesn't mean the 80s were objectively bad, just means I don't like that music.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
You're not going to find some retro-rock Black Crowes band trying to live up to Led Zep and Pink Floyd these days, but rock music is still alive and well in new ways, just like Led Zep and Pink Floyd weren't Elvis and Chuck Berry, but they were still good, and they were still rock.

That's a great way of putting what it is as @AboutAGirl. Agree with you on modern rock as well. It's still rock, but not the stuff that I grew up with and loved. There are very few modern rock bands that I can really identify with in the same way as with the 70's bands. Some of the musicians are technically better, but it lacks something for me. Perhaps it's the rawness and power of the early rock that is missing, especially with the recorded stuff.
Is rock dying? In much the same way that there were the swing and jazz and rock 'n roll era's in popular before us, rock is slowly being taken over by the next era, whatever it is. So maybe it is, who knows? Sure hope it's not.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
You're not going to find some retro-rock Black Crowes band trying to live up to Led Zep and Pink Floyd these days, but rock music is still alive and well in new ways, just like Led Zep and Pink Floyd weren't Elvis and Chuck Berry, but they were still good, and they were still rock.

That's a great way of putting what it is as @AboutAGirl. Agree with you on modern rock as well. It's still rock, but not the stuff that I grew up with and loved. Musicians may be technically better, but for me there is a missing element in modern music that I cannot identify. Maybe it's lack of spontanaity, raw energy, power and message. I just find I cannot identify with modern rock bands.

In much the same way that we had the swing, jazz and rock 'n roll era's in popular music before us, maybe rock is slowly getting swallowed up by the next era in popular music, whatever it is. Sad to think of if it's true. We had it great :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I think looking at it objectively there is less rock in the mainstream today than there used to be. The grammys struggle to find two "rock" albums to rub together and they end up giving awards to The Foo Fighters -- who are obviously an alternative band playing by the numbers post-grunge and should be entered into the alternative category instead, but they're about as close to "traditional" rock as the mainstream has these days.

That's precisely the point though -- rock hasn't died, it's just evolved. That "Alternative" category is stronger than ever, with tons of exciting things happening over there and all kinds of new rock music. You're not going to find some retro-rock Black Crowes band trying to live up to Led Zep and Pink Floyd these days, but rock music is still alive and well in new ways, just like Led Zep and Pink Floyd weren't Elvis and Chuck Berry, but they were still good, and they were still rock.

Me, personally, do I like modern rock? Nope. Not my thing. But there's a world of difference between having a personal preference against modern music and thinking that music has declined. When you find yourself doubting this -- just think of Don Mclean. American Pie is a song all about how Dylan, The Stones, and The Beatles are terrible and evil. Different musical styles naturally give people different impressions. For example I don't like the stylistic trends of the 80s. A lot of people here do. Doesn't mean the 80s were objectively bad, just means I don't like that music.

Yeah I agree. Rock has changed/evolved whether some people like it or not. They just have to accept that not everyone will sound like they did in the 70s or 80s and frankly shouldn't try to. Music needs to evolve.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is Rock Dying A Slow Death?

My impulsive answer is yes.

However, when I sit and seriously think about it, the answer is no. Rock music is no longer the front runner of the music scene, though. Today is the pop era.

By ROCK I am referring to classic late 60's & 70's style rock. There are rock bands out there, plenty of blues rock, and plenty of new diverse rock bands. Just open your mind and ears.......

and do some googling ;)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online