Is One Direction bigger than The Beatles?

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Harry-Styles-Paul-McCartney-Ringo-Starr.jpg

First, he issued a track called ‘Best Song Ever.’ Now, One Direction‘s Harry Styles is saying that his group is bigger than the Beatles.

The hubbub surrounding the Fab Four’s arrival in the U.S. 50 years ago had these pop-star youngsters rewatching some archival footage — and that’s when it hit them: “We all sat and watched the film of the Beatles arriving in America,” the intrepid Styles tells NME. “And, to be honest, that really was like us. Stepping off the plane, the girls, the madness. It was exactly the same as when we got there — just 50 years earlier.”

To be fair, One Direction became the first group to ever have each of its first three albums debut at the top spot. But the sales figures — even taking into account that modern numbers are now skewed by Billboard’s decision to include streaming data and even viral hits — simply don’t compare.

The Beatles 1964 Capitol Records debut in the U.S., ‘Meet the Beatles,’ has sold 5 million copies. ‘The Beatles Second Album’ went double platinum, while ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ has moved 4 million copies. Compare those 11 million in total sales to One Direction — which has sold just 4.8 million total for its initial three albums. That’s some 200,000 less than the Beatles’ stateside debut, all by itself.

And that, of course, is to say nothing of their impact musically.

Perhaps sensing the looming backlash, Styles added a small caveat: “But none of us think we’re in the same league as them music-wise. We’d be total fools if we did. Fame-wise, it’s probably even bigger, but we don’t stand anywhere near them in terms of music.”

Besides, if you want to start comparing yourself to far more famous figures in history, take yet another page from the Beatles — and aim higher: Much higher.

Read More: One Direction Bigger Than The Beatles? Harry Styles Thinks So | One Direction Bigger Than The Beatles? Harry Styles Thinks So

Khor1255

Reaction score
Here we go again. Maybe not One Direction (whoever the hell they are) but Zamfir sure is giving them a run for their money.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why the hell do people still give One Direction the time of day?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
HPIM0246.jpg

That's what I think of One Direction.;)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I can honestly say that there is only one One Direction song that I would recognize. I don't know the name of it, but I know of it as about 2 yrs ago it was played everywhere, all of the time.

Bigger than the Beatles? Well, in terms of longevity, there's no way to determine that. In terms of impact on pop culture, we're still not far enough into the future to determine that. In terms of impact on the entire music industry (spanning multiple genres and subgenres)? I will put on my swami had and answer the question...

"no, not just no but hell no"

Carnac.jpg

The question: "Is One Direction bigger than the Beatles?"

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
Well that does it XD
i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_20.jpg

But to answer the question... No and never will be.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online