Iron Butterfly (Official Thread)

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Iron Butterfly - In The Time Of Our Lives, album: Ball 1969
Iron Butterfly - Belda Beast, album: Ball 1969
Iron Butterfly -In A Gadda Da Vida - Recorded live at Konserthuset,Goteborg,Sweden January 24,1971
Iron Butterfly - Stone Believer (Mike Pinera) Live 1971

50sRock50s

Reaction score
I just got the album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida for 5 bucks, and I love it! Of course the title tracks is my favorite track, but the rest are really different and cool.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
"Da-Vida" is certainly one of the better represenatives of 1960's flower power as it was expressed in the form of pop.The record's boasts true great spirit.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The End of Iron Butterfly? Guitarist Charlie Marinkovich Resigns

The recently dormant Iron Butterfly might finally be grounded for good. In announcing his own departure, guitarist Charlie Marinkovich all but confirmed the end of the group most famous for ‘In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida.’

That would serve as a capstone on a run of terrible news of late, beginning with the death last year of guitarist Larry “Rhino” Reinhardt from liver disease. Long-time bassist Lee Dorman also died in 2012. Since then drummer Ron Bushy, who executed that career-making drum solo on the side-length live version of ‘In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida,’ has been battling his own heart problems.

In confirming his own departure, Marinkovich — who has been with Iron Butterfly since 2002 — implied that Bushy won’t be returning, either.

“For me personally, Iron Butterfly was a blessing in my life but everything comes to an end and this is no exception, at least for me,” Marinkovich said, in an update on the band’s official site. “Personally, I’m not sure exactly where my life journey will take me now, but one day soon I hope to see you all again with guitar in hand.”

Though the band continued to tour, Iron Butterfly hadn’t issued a new studio effort since 1975′s ‘Sun and Steel.’ Their most recent release was 2011′s ‘Fillmore East,’ featuring concert material from 1968. ‘In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida’ (featuring Bushy, Dorman, guitarist Erik Brann and vocalist Doug Ingle) would reach No. 4 on the Billboard album charts in ’68, eventually selling some four million copies. Reinhardt joined in time for 1970′s ‘Metamorphosis.’

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
The true end of a fairly underrated but great band.

I also love the "spinoff" band Captain Beyond, with Reinhardt and Dorman (at least initially). Their drummer is still keeping that band alive.

E-Z

Reaction score
I once had a dvd of Iron Butterfly performing a live concert in the US maybe during the 1990s or early 2000s and I wish I kept it. It wasn't spectacular in anyway but it was a good solid performance to watch.

Bobby Caldwell was the original drummer in Captain Beyond who once played with Johnny Winter around the same time 1970-71

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online