Introducing someone to Genesis

JakeMM626

Reaction score
Duke is my favorite album of all time, and I consider it the ideal Genesis album because it strikes the perfect blend between 70's and 80's Genesis. I plan on showing this CD to my brother but I want to give him a taste of their strong progressive roots with Peter Gabriel too, I was thinking between Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, or Nursery Cryme.

Any thoughts?

Jake

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I would pick Foxtrot, but any of the albums you listed are good starting points.

Duke is one the best Genesis albums of the Collins, Banks and Rutherford era of the band, I play it regularly along with Abacab.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I strongly and wholeheartedly recommend this:

r4863431121767060cd5.jpg

It's a 3 CD compilation of selected tracks from all the Genesis albums. (except the debut for licensing reasons) It's what introduced me to Genesis, and look where I am now! :tongue:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I strongly and wholeheartedly recommend this:

r4863431121767060cd5.jpg

It's a 3 CD compilation of selected tracks from all the Genesis albums. (except the debut for licensing reasons) It's what introduced me to Genesis, and look where I am now! :tongue:

Spot on. I have that collection and it is brilliant.

Vintage

Vintage Rocker
Reaction score
I think this record offers any willing student a perfect and complete education in the best of Genesis...
genesis-seconds_out.jpg

runtfan

Reaction score
Duke and Seconds Out were my introduction to Genesis. Of the earlier stuff I'd probably recommend Foxtrot or Selling England By The Pound.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Selling England By The Pound is in my top Three Genesis albums all time RF.:D

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
Genesis? Genesis is awesomness.

In 1984, Genesis performed a medley of The Cage, Cinema Show, In That Quiet Earth, Slippermen and Afterglow live in concert for their Mama Tour to promote their eponymous album. ABC's Los Angeles affiliate, KABC 7 ran this one night in 1987, and after I watched it, Tony Banks performance was utterly heroic to me, causing me to discover a new found respect for keyboard synthesizer players. Just enjoy this 6 1/2 minute clip to see what I mean:

Invisible Touch was cute, but THIS was the Genesis that, I think, attracted most people to progressive rock.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online