Introducing...Portugal. The Man

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
PortugalTheMan.png

Portugal. The Man are a psychedelic rock band (yes, they do still exist) from Alaska...and they are the only band I know that has ever come from Alaska. They also draw from indie, glam rock, art rock, and Britpop genres as well. The also are known for getting into lengthy jam sessions live.

They formed in 2004 and were originally only suppose to be a side project of singer John Gourley but after his "main" band broke up Portugal. The Man became his main creative outlet. So far the band has put out 7 albums and 5 EPs, which is a pretty high rate of output these days.

I originally got into them back in 2009 with the release of "The Satanic Satanist" and more specifically the single "People Say". The album peaked at #81 on the Billboard charts and is thus far their only album to chart. However I believe that will all change with their newest album "In The Mountain, In The Cloud", which was released today. The band is poised and ready for success and just need something to really stick and I think this could be the album to do it.

(A short film based around their new album with the first half focusing on one of my absolute favorite songs by them, the beautiful "Sleep Forever")

art20159widea.jpg

Harkat

Reaction score
An interesting band Harmony
Which album do you recommend listening to first?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well lemme see....I have 3 and a half of their albums (the half being free download that the band have offered for their newest album that I hope to pick up soon). I have their debut "Waiter: ''You Vultures!''" which is a solid base for the band to build on, "American Ghetto", and "The Satanic Satanist" and I have to say that the latter is the best that I've heard from them. All of the songs flow in and out of each other so it has really good fung shui and it really sounds like it should be holding hands with Donovan's "Atlantis" or the great "Abbey Road" if you ask me. It just has that kind of vibe to it. Plus is has one of the coolest CD packagings that I've seen in a very long time. It opens up into this super elaborate, amazing trippy landscape.

23u75mo.jpg

I don't know who that girl is but I can't find another picture of it so this low quality one will have to do. (I may have to take a picture of it myself.)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Harmony, I found these guys postedd on I-Tunes as a free download and really liking it I posted it on my facebook thinking "Hey, cool new band!" Then you came on and you were an expert on the band and I was like in my head "Schooled again!" :heheh: I still think these guys have a real Modest Mouse feel to them. I liked the songs you posted and I'm glad it's not their jam sessions as I'm not a huge fan of mindless jamming. :D Here's the song you commented on in my facebook. It's still my favorite thus far but it's a Sooty thing I think! :heheh::

Got It All (This Can't Be Living Now)

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score
Cosmic I love the first song "People Say" and also the one that Sooty posted "Got It All (This Can't Be Living Now)" I never heard this band before. Cheers for the intro :cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Harmony, I found these guys postedd on I-Tunes as a free download and really liking it I posted it on my facebook thinking "Hey, cool new band!" Then you came on and you were an expert on the band and I was like in my head "Schooled again!" :heheh: I still think these guys have a real Modest Mouse feel to them. I liked the songs you posted and I'm glad it's not their jam sessions as I'm not a huge fan of mindless jamming. :D Here's the song you commented on in my facebook. It's still my favorite thus far but it's a Sooty thing I think! :heheh::

Got It All (This Can't Be Living Now)

(Well....I am the great fact finder, remember?)
:peek

I purposely avoided adding that one directly in the OP because I knew you would post it later. :heheh: "Got It All (This Can't Be Living Now)" was used in the short film for "Sleep Forever" though as well as snippets of other songs from their new album. :D

And I could see a modest mouse sort of feel to them but I think depending on the song they have an Oasis vibe to them.

Cosmic I love the first song "People Say" and also the one that Sooty posted "Got It All (This Can't Be Living Now)" I never heard this band before. Cheers for the intro :cheers2

You're welcome. Make sure you stop by a lot because I have more than enough to keep this thread going for a while. Like this song from their "American Ghetto" album...

God, those kids are assholes :heheh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Sleep Forever was pretty cool! Make sure to add a couple good tracks to classicrockforums radio! :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I'm posting my approval for this band in the short amount of CRF time I have, and their new album will be my first from them! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Sleep Forever was pretty cool! Make sure to add a couple good tracks to classicrockforums radio! :grinthumb

Oh yes, I shall and they will be spectacular. :D

I really like their stuff, too bad they cut the song off at 6:11 in this video...I was really jamming to it. :grinthumb

:heheh:

"Sleep Forever" only goes on for another 20 seconds or so from there.

I'm posting my approval for this band in the short amount of CRF time I have, and their new album will be my first from them! :grinthumb

Glad you're using your CRF time wisely then, Sal. :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online