Indian influences on the rock scene

Julie

Reaction score
I'm kinda curious for 60's - 70's music with Indian influences. I only know that George Harrisson was influenced by India when he went solo.. Do you know any others?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not sure Julez, I know Ravi Shankar is a phenomenal sitar player, and influenced more than one western artist but specific examples I can't think any of right now.:hm:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well this may not be what you're looking for but Freddie Mercury was from India. Just to throw that out there.

F

FoxyPage

I'm kinda curious for 60's - 70's music with Indian influences. I only know that George Harrisson was influenced by India when he went solo.. Do you know any others?

Well, this isn't 60's/70's but some early work from The Tea Party had Indian influences. I made a thread for them in the 90's section.

Don't know of any 60's/70's artists with that influence, though.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
steve hillage-had a bunch here are two

om nam shivaya

om riff

the 90's band Kular Shaker-they are a british band but the lead singer was all about indian influences

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I know Dead Can Dance's music doesn't fall under the umbrella of "rock", but their music (Dark Wave/Goth) has a hint of middle eastern to it.

Last edited:

Julie

Reaction score
@ foxy: thanks! I'll check it out on the thread you made.

@ Aktivator: Woohoo, that first Steve Hillage song is great! I love the singing. And I had all forgotten about Kula Shaker! My sister had their first CD, but I didn't appreciate them that much back in the days. (I was still in the backstreet boys phase or something..) Thanks, Aktivator.

@ Dave78: Oh, but that kind of music is exactly what I'm looking for!! I like them both, thanks, man.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
From Humble Pie's second album Town and Country... Steve Marriott plays Sitar on this song (although credits list him playing a Leslie guitar.) Also playing here is a young Peter Frampton.

Last edited:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
@ Dave78: Oh, but that kind of music is exactly what I'm looking for!! I like them both, thanks, man.
Julez -- if you enjoyed those two songs, you may also like this one. The video content itself has no real significance to the song (except to the creator, I'm sure), but it's the only video on YT that has the studio version of this song, which I think is awesome btw.

From the SPLEEN and IDEAL cd- "Avatar"

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online