In my 20's & a problem: I LOVE classic rock, I just don't know where to discover more

ken89

Reaction score
I don't mean to suggest that I don't know where to find classic rock music, I just don't know where to look in terms of the classic rock that I like. Basically I'm trying to create a playlist of artists/songs but I can't quite put my finger on what my preference is or even how to search or what artists I should start listening to.

So here are a few of my favorite bands:
- Everything by Queen/Freddie Mercury (I'm in love with his voice)
- Lots of songs by Whitesnake (like 'Too many tears' or 'Here I go again')
- Lots of songs by Journey (Steve Perry)

Some songs I always like listening to:
- Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain
- Bryan Adams - Heaven
- John Mellencamp - Jack and Diane
- Billy Joel - Piano Man/We Didn't start the fire
- Aerosmith - Jaded
- kansas - carry on my wayward son
- Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm amazed
- Foreigner - I Want to know what love is

The reason I posted those is because maybe you guys (who are 1000x more knowledgeable) will be able to get an idea of what I might like or bands I should look into. Basically after reading the list, is there anything to comes to mind that makes you think "Oh, I think this guy will like ____ or ____".

In any case I appreciate the help! Thank you so much!

Reddy4u2

Reaction score
Bad Company
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Boston

Just to name a few.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Here's a few that come to mind.

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Saxon - Unleash the Beast
Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
Styx - Pieces of Eight
Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices are Now Habits
Renaissance - Scheherezade
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed.

Those are some classic rock bands and albums for you to think about Ken89.:hab:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
If you like Queen, look for Led Zeppelin and their copies, like Montrose, Beckett, Lone Star, AC/DC, Budgie, Black Sabbath and Chicago. Queen were disparagingly called Led Zeppelin-lite.

If you like David Coverdale, then seek out Coverdale & Page, everything by Glenn Hughes, Black Country Communion, Trapeze, Deep Purple, Joe Lynn Turner and Company of Snakes (Jorn Lande).

Foreigner - You might want to hear King Crimson with Ian McDonald, and you should like similar bands such as Free, Bad Co, Gamma, Frankie Miller, Robin Trower and the later String Driven Thing.

I am currently listening to Presto Ballet, because I was told they sound like a combination of Rush and Kansas, but I am not sure it is the case. Styx are similar to Kansas in my opinion. City Boy and Steelhouse Lane are associated bands because of Mike Slamer's connection with Steve Walsh. Kerry Livgren's solo album with Ronnie Dio is excellent.

I've got the 2005 remaster of John Mellencamp's Scarecrow album, originally from 1985. It's his best in my opinion. I am not sure about Bryan Adams and CCR. The early Journey, without Steve Perry, are great, but I admit the vocals are weak. Journey-like bands include W.E.T. and Houston.

Billy Joel was inspired by Elton John and Ben E. King, so you should at least seek out the Gus Dudgeon-produced Elton John material from the seventies.

I think Rocks is Aerosmith's best album, but I could be alone on this forum.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Maybe I'm Amazed was a Paul McCartney solo track from his first album, but you cannot go far wrong with most things by Wings and everything by The Beatles.

Def Leppard were produced by Mutt Lange, who did far better work with City Boy (Mike Slamer again), but that is just my opinion. They did not sell as many albums as Def Leppard.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^City Boy > Def Leppard...good call Martin.:tup:

jtrichey13

Hall of Fame Guru
Reaction score
You should possibly try the Pandora service where you input an artists or a song and it creates a "radio station" for you with similar qualities. Sometimes it misses, but sometimes it really hits.

I also discovered a bunch this past year when I was running the Hall of Fame threads here. If there was a band that got a vote or two that I wasn't real familiar with, I would listen to their greatest hits on Spotify. I found lots of fantastic music that I had never heard of before.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
^^City Boy > Def Leppard...good call Martin.:tup:

Thanks, I never pass on a good opportunity to mention them. Here's 5.7.0.5. from the BBC's Top of the Pops. The drummer Roy Ward sang the original track, but Steve Broughton is miming in the clip. Roy Ward also sang The Lion Sleeps Tonight for Tight Fit.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Billy Joel had some great tunes between "Piano Man" and "We Didn't Start The Fire". Try his albums "The Stranger" and "An Innocent Man".

McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" is from his first post-Beatles album "McCartney". You might also want to try "Ram" and "Band On The Run". Other solo Beatles albums you might like are "Plastic Ono Band" and "Imagine" by John Lennon, "All Things Must Pass" and "33 and 1/3" by George Harrison and "Ringo" and "Goodnight Vienna" by Ringo Starr.

You'll probably like early CCR albums like "Bayou Country", "Green River" and "Cosmo's Factory". You might also want to try The Band, especially their first two albums "Music From Big Pink" and "The Band". Also, since you like CCR's sound, try "Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress" by The Hollies, sounds just like them.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.