If a classical composer were writing today, who would he be?

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
This is a game to put a classical genius into the best fit of a pop/rock writer box. In other words, if a classical composer were writing today, which pop/rock legend would he most likely be? This is not about enjoying them equally, but rather what elements of composition do they have in common? You are limited to a classical => pop/rock comparison.

For example, Tchaikovsky - Benny Andersson. Benny has been called the Tchaikovsky of the 20th and 21st century. Benny always referred to Tchaikovsky as his favorite composer, and his score of the musical "Chess" reflects the Russian master's profound understanding of melody.

This is just for fun so don't get too serious :)

OptimisticFutureBlues

Pschonautic Outlaw
Reaction score
Just their musical diversity. Their actual images have nothing in common. But the way their music differs but is somehow similar, would be one thing I could put my finger on.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Interesting topic. For me it would be Paul McCartney as maybe a sort of 21st century Gustav Mahler, he has already written several 'classical' pieces, such as his 90-minute work for chorus and orchestra (his 'Liverpool Oratorio') and several other 'classical' type works, like his 'Standing Stone' and 'Working Classical' and 'Ecce Cor Meum' - all of which are very fine indeed, plus he now even has his first-ever ballet score – composed for the New York City Ballet, and titled 'Ocean's Kingdom' - which is due in September. It won't be long before he writes a full length opera (not that Mahler ever wrote an opera or a ballet, but that would be my comparison, I think McCartney must have listened to Mahler, there is stuff in his Liverpool Oratorio and his orchetrals scores which to my ears at least is influenced by Mahler)

Khor1255

Reaction score
The Beatles would be kind of the Bach of rock (if this is what you mean) being not the first but the first to take all essential elements and combine them into a sort of working amalgam. Zeppelin would be like Beethoven or Mozart (building on an already established framework and expanding it or refining it) while bands like Crimson, Yes and Rush would be the 'romantic period' of rock where you had all these elements but further expanded on the diversity and subtle nature of various themes.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online