I am the walrus!

• Thread starter artisticpursuit08
  • Start date

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
annie wrote:

Well it was Roy Wood who said that. I think he was referring to the violins, cellos, horns, clarinet and 16-piece choir and the chord progressions, not the lyrics. ELO were huge beer drinkers but were not into drugs.

Yes I could see where that would come into perspective towards what ELO were looking to archieve. Lots of groups were actually applying that kind of sound though with simply applying many instruments - not necessarily those you mentioned though.

"I am the Walrus" was just John screwing with all the people who were "interpreting" his songs so he wrote gibberish, and as he said, "it doesn't mean anything". The so-called drug references are only that if you want them to be. As we know, Lucy was a real person who died recently and John denied that the song title was a reference to LSD. "Smokers" does not refer to pot smokers but rather to his old chain smoking literary teacher. By the way, it's "everybody got some" not "everybody smoke pot" at the end.

Yes I really need to listen to the music of "I am the Walrus" rather than the words, cause the trouble is I haven't heard the song in yonks and like you say if John is messing around, then it's not really a song about the worlds - merely poetry made up to go with the tune. I guess another good tune to compare it with is "Mind Gardens" which David Crosby did with the Byrds, David did it a bit differently though and the song is basically a story he made up.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Per Wiki:

Who was the Eggman?

Eric Burdon, lead singer of The Animals, is claimed by some to be the 'Eggman'. The reason for this is that Burdon was known as 'Eggs' to his friends, originating from his fondness for breaking eggs over naked girls. Burdon's biography mentions such an affair taking place in the presence of John Lennon, who shouted "Go on, go get it, Eggman..."

symph

Wham bam boom man!
Reaction score
Walrus contains one of my favorite hidden messages that no one, including the Beatles, ever talks about. At approximately 3:37 into the song, there are some background vocals going on in the long fade out. It's just some gibberish they're chanting up until that point. At 3:37 the chant changes to something that sounds suspicously like, "Smoke pot, smoke pot, everybody smoke pot."

There were a lot of drug references in their music, but this was the most blatant that I'm aware of in their offical catalogue. The funny thing is, I never noticed it when the album was released. It was many years later when I was traveling and MMT was on the CD player.

Listen up to it and let me know what you hear.

I don't believe that was intentional as much as I'd like to. The effect you're hearing seems to be a mixture of sounds along with what they are actually saying, which is "everybody ha ha" I don't believe they purposefully put a pot reference in there though.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online