I am the walrus!

• Thread starter artisticpursuit08
  • Start date
A

artisticpursuit08

Hey guys,

Let me start off by saying the Beatles were a bit before my time, but I've been researching them a lot lately. I have a newfound appreciation for all their work and feel like more people should listen to their music. I've been reading all the posts you guys put up and think it's incredible how music is still inspiring everyone, even theirs. Just today I wrote a blog about them being able to sell millions of albums within 5 days just a few weeks ago. As artist supporters, I hope you guys can see what I wrote. I also put up a couple of items to take a look at for you collectors out there. I'm also interested in other artists who are stirring things up so let me know.

http://artistwarehouse.blogspot.com/

Rock your face off! :phones:

Cin

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Cool! Keep rocking.

marine-walrus-anim0022.jpg

:grinthumb

Last edited:

Emrock

Reaction score
Walrus contains one of my favorite hidden messages that no one, including the Beatles, ever talks about. At approximately 3:37 into the song, there are some background vocals going on in the long fade out. It's just some gibberish they're chanting up until that point. At 3:37 the chant changes to something that sounds suspicously like, "Smoke pot, smoke pot, everybody smoke pot."

There were a lot of drug references in their music, but this was the most blatant that I'm aware of in their offical catalogue. The funny thing is, I never noticed it when the album was released. It was many years later when I was traveling and MMT was on the CD player.

Listen up to it and let me know what you hear.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a big fan of I am the Walrus, but having read so much into this thread and read some stuff in books about Electric Light Orchestra initally signing up to continue the progressive sound from that song, I'm slightly more curious about this I am the Walrus - even if the lyrics don't appeal, I'm just so suprised it had appeal to the members of ELO and it makes me wonder if they caught on to the Drug References happening in the song?

Emrock

Reaction score
As i recall, when Lennon was writing Walrus, he had a sheet a paper in a typewriter (what the hell is that?) and added lines over a period of several days, perhaps weeks. It wasn't flow of consciousness and there was no plan. John liked words and enjoyed word play. Lyrically, Walrus is more a series of flashes and images than a cohesive "song." The music is a collage of electronic experimentation.

Did the counter-culture die or was it murdered?
http://www.TheWoodstockConspiracy.com
http://www.ClassicRockEsoterica.com

rtbuck

Reaction score
That's a cool version of it:grinthumb I am the Walrus is my favorite Beatles song.I also liked Crack the Sky's Cover of it on their Live record (They get the crowd to do the Wooohs!!) & a band from Cleveland in the 70's called Molkie Cole did a cool version of it live back in the day.
The Dead Milkmen also did a song called "I am the Walrus" (not the same as Beatles)

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a big fan of I am the Walrus, but having read so much into this thread and read some stuff in books about Electric Light Orchestra initally signing up to continue the progressive sound from that song, I'm slightly more curious about this I am the Walrus - even if the lyrics don't appeal, I'm just so suprised it had appeal to the members of ELO and it makes me wonder if they caught on to the Drug References happening in the song?

Well it was Roy Wood who said that. I think he was referring to the violins, cellos, horns, clarinet and 16-piece choir and the chord progressions, not the lyrics. ELO were huge beer drinkers but were not into drugs.

"I am the Walrus" was just John screwing with all the people who were "interpreting" his songs so he wrote gibberish, and as he said, "it doesn't mean anything". The so-called drug references are only that if you want them to be. As we know, Lucy was a real person who died recently and John denied that the song title was a reference to LSD. "Smokers" does not refer to pot smokers but rather to his old chain smoking literary teacher. By the way, it's "everybody got some" not "everybody smoke pot" at the end.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online