Hum (Official Thread)

Born to Lose

Reaction score
I didnt see a thread for Hum, and they are certainly deserving of one, so I figured... why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hum_(band)

Bio:

Hum was a garage rock band from Illinois in the 90's. Their music was often classified as post-hardcore, although some argued that they more closely resembled space rock, neo-psychedelia, shoegazing, or even alternative metal. (I've described them as being like Smashing Pumpkins minus Corgan's strange vocal delivery, although that doesnt do them much justice.) They are one of the true "alternative" bands, unclassifiable one way or another. They draw equally from stripped-down punk rock as they do winding guitar jams, although they tend to avoid guitar solos, their guitar style is quite distinctive... alternating between subdued, close-up clean chords and fingerpicking to superheavy distorted power riffs. Their most well-known album is 1995's "You'd Prefer an Astronaut", a concept album about failed love. While it seems a cliche topic, "Astronaut" is written with such a personal disconnection and such a numb throbbing pain that it seems very unique and extremely human. Their biggest hit, "Stars", was from that album. Hum broke up in 2000, and save for a few one-off reunions, faded into 90's alt rock oblivion, with a few members returning to normal non-musical lives.

Discography:

Fillet Show 1991
Electra 2000 1993
You'd Prefer an Astronaut 1995
Downward is Heavenward 1998

Members of the band at the time of their last show:

Matt Talbot (guitarist/vocalist)
Tim Lash (guitarist)
Jeff Dimpsey (bass guitarist)
Bryan St. Pere (Drummer)

Attachments

• Hum.jpg
    Hum.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Hum1.jpg
    Hum1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 26

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Sorry B T L ,Im like Sunny and hadnt heard of the band before...but thats what CRF is about and to be introduced to bands that somehow you missed out on. I did check out some of HUMs songs on you tube and they sound pretty good. As you say ....they do have a Smashing Pumpkins style
"Stars"

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Never heard of this band. I will have to do a bit more investigating into their work.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online