Huey Lewis and the Ruse

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Know what old tune really ****** me off?"Heart of Rock and Roll" by tirelessly overrated 80's pop band Huey Lewis and the News.This is NOT real rock and roll.It's a frigen pop record through and through.They include some usual three chord sort rock progressions and just CALL it real rock.And to top it all off,it happens to be one of the most overplayed songs on my local classic stations.It may stand as an '80's classic but belongs in the past as it possesses no actual qualities that make a recording TRULY timeless.Huey Lewis even in his prime possessed just about as much genuine rock spirit as Katrina from the Waves,another piece of bland top forty fluff...........

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
By whatever the definition of "rock" is, Huey Lewis and the News is definitely a rock band, albeit I'd say mostly a "pop rock" band.

I have long said that their 3rd album, Sports, is one of the best pop rock albums of the 80's.

As far as "Heart of Rock and Roll" goes, I'd say that the song is nothing more than an homage to rock and roll with pop culture reference points littered throughout the song (also in homage).

I think that the Kat and the Waves reference is a bit much. I don't know how well they did in the UK, but in the US, they were the very definition of a one-hit wonder with a 100% radio-friendly pop sound (dance pop maybe?). not saying that you are wrong, just that my opinion doesn't align with yours on this one.

:cheers:

Aero

Reaction score
Know what old tune really ****** me off?"Heart of Rock and Roll" by tirelessly overrated 80's pop band Huey Lewis and the News.This is NOT real rock and roll.It's a frigen pop record through and through.They include some usual three chord sort rock progressions and just CALL it real rock.And to top it all off,it happens to be one of the most overplayed songs on my local classic stations.It may stand as an '80's classic but belongs in the past as it possesses no actual qualities that make a recording TRULY timeless.Huey Lewis even in his prime possessed just about as much genuine rock spirit as Katrina from the Waves,another piece of bland top forty fluff...........

Like the other poster said, they were pop rock. But they were way more talented than the annoying Katrina and the Waves.

Heart of Rock and Roll has a sax solo that is pretty rockin' IMO. And frankly, I think they had as much rock spirit and talent as Hall and Oates did.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online